PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Buying Transporter

bigal333
14-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi,
I'm considering buying a Transporter and looking for some thoughts on choosing one.

I have owned various Transporters a while ago (mostly 1991-93 age) - the 1.9d non turbo, the 1.9d turbo, and the 2.4d (or was it a 2.5?) non turbo. I also owned a 1999 LT35 tdi 2.5 (90bhp I think). I currently own a Sprinter 311cdi.

I'm looking for something a few years old for £4000-£5000 and it looks (from browsing Merc forums) like the Transporter wins over the Merc Vito for not breaking down - but I'm a bit out of touch on the current models.

There seems to be several engines/bhp outputs etc. I want something which will tow a horsebox without dropping speed too much on hills, but fuel economy comes into the equation too. What would you recommend engine wise - and are there any particular engines to avoid and why?

Thanks in anticipation.

Al.

Brian Considine
14-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi Al,

I used to be a (bought from new) MB Vito owner. Sold it at 250k, the engine was as good as the day it came out of the factory - the rest of it - tinworm at the bottom of the doors, door catches & similar falling off/breaking, wooley gear box & so on, never buy another Merc.

Then I bought a 2000 90k T4 with the 5 cyl 2.5 turbo intercooled engine - now at 170k & it still drives like a new van.

Towing a 2ton box trailer on motorways/decent A roads returns 26mpg maintaining 60/70.

I have since removed the cat & although I have not done a check since it does appear to be more ecomonical & certainly better performance.

Hope this helps.