PDA

View Full Version : ignition contact switch

lpg boy
13-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Having probs with starter not working when key is turned to start position, only intermittent at present but at about a tenner I thought it a reasonable gamble to change the key switch.
Haynes is not specific on this job so is it a steering wheel/ airbag removal to get to the switch or has anybody done it an easy way?
Are these prone to failure?
1995 2.0 GL estate 220k mls.

JohnSt
20-04-2008, 07:55 AM
I cured the same sort of intermittent starting problem with a new switch on my 96 tdi estate which I would imagine is the same sort of steering column and ignition switch.
I could find no faster way than the Haynes manual suggests as the switch itself is held in with one very small screw that you can only access from the top.
I had to hire a specific puller to remove the steering wheel sleeve, which by the way is a VERY!! Tight fit, and had to have the air bag warning light electronics reset after disconnecting the steering wheel air bag.
The rest was routine. Good luck

erico
25-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Another cause of the intermittent no-start condition is caused by the immobilizer system.

I disconnected the main connector at the engine and cleaned it with contact cleaner and cleared all codes the ECM had stored with the use of my VAG-COM. Once I did that, the problem never reappeared.

So...it is not always the ignition switch, but they have historically been prone to failure in many VW models. I had the same problem (ignition switch module replacement was the cure)in a Golf2 and in two Siroccos that I owned.

cheers,
Erico

CATOMITE
07-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Just had the same problem on my 1997 Tdi passat, i changed the spade connector on the startermotor that feeds from the ignition switch. I youre problem reappears i recommend that you do the same mate.

lpg boy
20-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks everyone, no immobiliser on my car so got on with replacing switch.
'Tight' isn't the word for the sleeve fit.
I got the sleeve off by clamping a 2 piece Ruland 28 mm bore collar onto the sleeve and then used a hydraulic puller on it as the sleeve only has a 0.5 mm shoulder to hook onto.For info- R.S.components part no.289-9789 or any Eriks (wyko) type bearing factor would be a source of 2 piece collar.
Job done , switch replaced :D

Foringo
03-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Had this problem with ignition switch last week and made up a puller to remove the splined collar to allow removal of the steering lock assembly. Just received a new switch in the post today so just got to see if it cures the problem!

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/Foringo2/DSC00004.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/Foringo2/DSC00002.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/Foringo2/DSC00001.jpg

Foringo
06-06-2008, 05:52 PM
It did:D

ORDERLY
20-07-2008, 10:54 PM
I Had this very problem with my 1996 Tdi Passat and changed the terminal at the starter motor but this was not the cause, it turned out to be the starting motor itself atfault (easy way to check is too hit it with a hammer if it dont turn) if it fires into life after that then u indeed have a dead starter motor