PDA

View Full Version : Service schedules

AntJ
13-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Can some one explain to me the two different VW service plans?
My "service now" message came on and looking at the book, its 12mths since it was last serviced ,and has covered about 6k.
It is a V5, there is no sticker on the drivers door post.

snapdragon
13-04-2008, 07:48 PM
There is one which is flexible/long-life which requires special VW-approved oil, the service intervals are usually 15-20k miles (depending on cold starts, driving style etc...)

The other is traditional fixed interval of 12 months or 20,000Km whichever is sooner, and can uses a cheaper VW-approved oil.

Almost all VWs in the UK came with Long life servicing from the factory, but can be switched to fixed interval by the dealer. Also, if you reset the service indicator using the odometer buttons, it will revert to fixed-interval. It warns in the owners manual not to do this if you are on long-life service intervals.

Most garages will reset using the odometer buttons and inadvertently or otherwise switch you to fixed.

I think fixed ones are better anyway.

ROYKEANE
13-04-2008, 08:02 PM
hi antj,
does the service book not give any clues as to which service intervals its on?.

its more than likely due,personally i wouldnt take the chance.

ive just had my polo tdi pd sport serviced on friday-exactly a year since it was done last and only covered 2800 miles.

roy

AntJ
13-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Not really any clues in the service book , other than it has been serviced every 10k(when it was a company car) and then every 12 mths( when it started doing less than 10k per annum).

Seems a bit bloody confusing to be honest.
Think I will call in local VW dealers tomorrow and ask them to check the records on the national system.

ROYKEANE
13-04-2008, 08:18 PM
ant,
i would do that,call vw,see if they can bring up any details but you may have to go in person.

i does sound like its on the 12k short intervals though.
spend the money and get it done!.

roy