PDA

View Full Version : What is the safest way to dispose of old G12 Coolant ?

tornadored7
13-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi,

Following a long time fault code stored in the ECU;

17664 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (G62): Open or Short to Plus
P1256 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I decided to change the older less reliable (Black 078.919.501.C) version of the Coolant Temperature Sensor with the updated (Green 059.919.501.A ) version.

The results have been noticeable;

The car seems to start slightly more easily, with a lot less smoke produced on start up (ASZ engine).
Generally, the car appears to be smoother and more economical when driving
The 17664 fault code, hasn't recurredRather than risk spilling coolant everywhere while trying to do a quick sensor swap, I opted to carefully drain ~2.5L of G12 coolant using the Tap at the bottom of the radiator (only after leaving engine to cool for 2 hours).

After replacing the sensor I mixed G12 conformant coolant with Deionised water (50:50), and slowly topped up the coolant level in the car, while it was left to warm up.

My questions are;
1) Given that G12 Coolant is poisonous (it can also attract animals), and is bad for car paint, what is the safest and most responsible way to dispose of old G12 coolant ?

In the same way it's irresponsible and dangerous to pour old engine oil into the drain, I'd really prefer not to do the same with old G12 coolant.

2) You are meant to mix the coolant with distilled water, but is it acceptable to use deionised water instead ?

As ever, all advice would be appreciated.

TR7