PDA

View Full Version : Sudden loss of drive on 1999 T4 88

chrisreay
13-04-2008, 08:52 AM
My son rang today from France - his T4 suddenly lost drive as he changed down coming into his village. Gears go in so clutch is disengaging but no drive. When I've had clutch failures it's been the opposite, always engaged.
Any ideas?
Chris

saunders1587
13-04-2008, 09:09 AM
When you say the clutch goes in? Is that with the clutch pedal pressed or not?

chrisreay
13-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Don't know, but the van makes a horrible metal on metal sound (when in gear) until the clutch is depressed. `In neutral, no sound, engine runs as normal. Apparently it used to make a clunk sometimes when going into first.
Thanks for the help
Chris

chrisreay
13-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Sorry - do know! The gears go in with the clutch pedal depressed

joeknapton
13-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi Dad, I've registered, this is much better than the other forum.

I've been to check the van again. It starts up fine, sounds normal, I depress the clutch pedal as normal, and can select a gear. When I release the pedal, there's a horrible noise and no drive.

It happened whilst changing down form 4th to 3rd at about 20mph.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

carbon
14-04-2008, 05:52 PM
I did have a similar problem with mine, the outer CV joint on the nearside broke lossing all drive but as the break was inside the joint it looked ok from the outside. It could be either side thats broken.

saunders1587
14-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I did have a similar problem with mine, the outer CV joint on the nearside broke lossing all drive but as the break was inside the joint it looked ok from the outside. It could be either side thats broken.

i see what you mean there, how did you discover it was that?

Can it go into gear with out the clutch pedal depressed?

Dan.