PDA

View Full Version : 2000 v reg 1.9 SDi Caddy problem

Mole Man
13-04-2008, 07:54 AM
hi all

first post here

i was out in the caddy this morning going to a job but after about 20 mins driveing the throttle died and the car was sitting on a slighty higher tickover.when i pressed the throttle again it did not do anything it just sat there on this higher tickover i noticed that the coil warming light was flashing at some time, i switched the engine off and then back on again and i was ablie to get 30yards and it done it again (at this point i thought id better get back home) and then for the rest of the way back home it done it all the way about every 20 seconds (nightmare) i have read some of the posts on here about it maybe being the (throttle pedal, variable resistor) but nobody mentions anything about the coil warming light comeing on so i thought i would ask and see what any of you think...............can i repair this for the time being if it is the same probem?.

cheers folks

paul

Col
13-04-2008, 10:10 AM
You need to get it read for faults before you do anything.

Probably the throttle pedal but not definitely, you don't want to be spending £100+ on one when it could be something else.

Look in the vagcom subforum for details on how to set yourself up with it (so you can scan for faults) or to find someone who could help.

Mole Man
14-04-2008, 11:00 AM
thanks for your reply

i have today tryed to get a mobile service out to me but no one seems to do desels as soon as i mention its an 1.9 sdi thay tell me thay cant do it. so its left me in a bit of a funny spot as i cant move the van to a garage as it wont go atall it does this problem on start up now. about the only option i have left is to get this vagcom software or a fault reader and do it myself but tbh im not that good with electrics my brother was but he is away now so i cant get his help on it anymore and im thinking the software will cost me a fortune and all i need is to know what this problem is so i dont want to fork out loads of cash for something i probally cant work and dont realy need myself.. any ideas chaps? i dont supose theres anyone in the midlothian/lasswade area willing to help me out for a payment all i need is it to know whats up with it so i can get the part if need be.my brother did take out the throttle body and cleaned it out and made sure the brushes where touching ok only to find out that you need to recalabrate it again? is that right.

cheers

paul

Mole Man
14-04-2008, 03:48 PM
well i found a chap thats willing to come out but only to plug it in and give me a fault code thats all he can do he wants £45+ vat for this and after looking on the internet i see i can buy the fault code reader for £43 posted to my door so i guess im better off buyig the thing myself saveing money and haveing it for the future , i have found a few others at a cheaper price thay say thay do the same thing and thay look the same but at half the cost £24 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160229130327&ih=006&category=30921 it was on ebay from a chap down london so im not sure what to go for i mean if these cheaper one do the same thing and give me the fault code i would be aswell going for the cheaper option .. have you guys any ideas?

cheers

paul

Mole Man
16-04-2008, 06:54 PM
well i got my code reader today.. the problem was what i thought it was "throttle pedal, variable resistor" we took it out at the begingin to clean it and all but my only problem now is ..is it buggered or is it just needing recalabrated?........ no dought the mobile chaps will charge a small fortune for doing it as i was quoted £58 just to get the fault code( i got my own reader now for £46 posted lol) so my problem..do i get this vagcom software and try to recalabrate myself and if it dont work ill get the new sensor and do the recalabrateding again myself or do i get a chap out who will probally charge me an arm and a leg and be stuck with needing a new one and haveing to get him out again once i fitted the new unit?..what do you lads think? and what interface/software would i need,,, i have had a look but crist i get lost with it all..im going to phone a few places tomorow and see what thay charge but i recon it will be a fair bit going by the charge for just getting the fault code.

cheers and thanks for the help

paul

Mole Man
19-04-2008, 01:25 PM
well i got my new "throttle pedal, variable resistor" today,..fitted it up and it worked for a while..now its going back to no throttle response after a few seconds...there was a bit desiel leaking out of the desiel pump and into the conection block it is comeign down the wire...i fixed this up to see if that was causeing the problem but its still doing the same thing. have you guys got any help on this atall as i am pulling my hair out about it.. im still getting the fault code for the "throttle posistion sensor"??

cheers in advance

please someone help me out

paul

Brian Considine
19-04-2008, 07:43 PM
well i got my new "throttle pedal, variable resistor" today,..fitted it up and it worked for a while..now its going back to no throttle response after a few seconds...there was a bit desiel leaking out of the desiel pump and into the conection block it is comeign down the wire...i fixed this up to see if that was causeing the problem but its still doing the same thing. have you guys got any help on this atall as i am pulling my hair out about it.. im still getting the fault code for the "throttle posistion sensor"??

cheers in advance

please someone help me out

paul

Have you tried double checking all the connections on the throttle pedal & those between it & the ECU, also, check all the others, fault codes can sometimes give the wrong indication.

That's about all the help I can suggest.

Mole Man
20-04-2008, 09:35 AM
thank you for reply brain...i went otu and had alook at them all about the only thing i can see is there is diesel running down the inside of the wires that come from the electronic diesel pump and into the block conection, ive dryed it out ,sprayed some wd40 on it all to displace any diesel and left it to dry and hey presto it works but only for a little while until the diesel gets into the wires and conection block again ,my only guess is that its shorting out? so my next problem is im going to have to get a new electronic diesel pump.as i have tryed fixing it but the deisel is actully getting into the wires from within that module block thats fixed onto the pump..can i get just the top half of the pump to save me takeing it all off or is it a whole new pump job?

cheers again for your help its very much appreciated

paul

Mole Man
24-04-2008, 05:21 PM
right folks today i fitted the top half of the replacement deisel pump..the engine went mad for a little bit high revs then it died down to a lumpy reving and still the problem persists..its driveing me crazy..can anyone tell me if i will need to get it reprogramed or something with this new deisel pump top half coing on? or does anyone now a good mobile service than can come out to lasswade in midlothian..no one i phone seems to want to do it or if thay do thay say thay dont do many deisels so thay might not find out what the problem is...any help chaps is very very very much appreciated ,im at the end of my teathers here and being self employed is realy haveing a back knock back to the business..if anyone can help me out i have money ready to be payed for anyhelp in fixing it.

regards

paul

Mole Man
24-04-2008, 08:01 PM
ok ive since been told that with fitting the new electronic diesel pump top half that i will have to have it reprogramed..can any one confirm this for me? just need a comfirmation that this is true.

cheers

paul

adehardman
02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi

Have you got this sorted yet? my throttle is just starting to act up . Will plug the VAG in over the weekend :zx11:

Mole Man
05-05-2008, 08:11 AM
no joy yet nopw we got the fuel pump fitted but cant get the van to start now? i seen on another thread about someone fitting a new pump on and he said he had to smash the immobiliser and run a wire to the solenoid? if someone out there can tell em how to do this or a drawing of where the parts are so i can try it because im at my wits end with this thing.

so anyone please please if you can tell me how to do the above let me know i realy am about to take a hammer to the van and smash it up

cheers

paul

kenney
05-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Hi There is no reprograming of the diesel pump

Mole Man
05-05-2008, 09:49 AM
is there not..i just thought there was after rading this thread on here http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=23360

if thats the case i dont have a clue whats wrong lol..we checked the timing all TDC lined up ok.

thanks for the reply btwcheers

paul

kenney
05-05-2008, 11:24 AM
The pump is not coded it has to be adapted we are talking about the immobilizer,i thought you had only change the top part of the pump,or have you change the complete pump.

Mole Man
05-05-2008, 11:57 AM
yea we changed the complete pump over now, someone told me thats whay it wasnot working because i just put the top half on from another pump so we took the old one out and fitted the newer one in

kenney
05-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Ok I think, to begin with, you have maybe given yourself more problems by changing over the top part.For a start you need to be sure you have assembled the part properly.Can you hear the stop valve clicking when you turn the ignition on and off? The immo on these pumps can be disconnected by removing the control unit for the shut off valve and putting a direct feed from the ignition(fused)to the valve.Take notice of the 2 banjo bolts for the fuel supply and return they are different.Do you need any info on how to replace the pump?

Mole Man
05-05-2008, 01:04 PM
i can hear the clicking yes so im assuming thats the stop valve?. my brother (whos just left to go back down south) says he thinks its not getting any fuel to the injectors theres fuel in the pump but it dont seam to be going from there...the new pump is on now..sould i try disconnecing the immo ,,forgive my igraonice but do you have a run throu on how i do that and where the immo is plached.."is it bellow where the injector pipes attach? 2 wires comeing out of it?..

thanks for the help its very much appreciated

paul

kenney
05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
If you hear the clicking then the immo is working,it supplys power to the valve.The control unit (black box is on the rear of the pump)What about the banjo bolts it says in on the one and out on the other one, which is on top of the pump.have you checked these?Are you sure you have got a pump that was working ok and you have assembled the top part properly?

Mole Man
19-05-2008, 03:16 PM
hi kenny

sorry i have been away for a while i had to end up getting myself a new motor to get around in as i was loseing to much work..so i have some time to spare on the van now and after haveing another look at it i was miss taken to tell you that i can hear the stop vavle working there is no clicking from it when the key is turned to the staring posistion. so do i just run a wire from it to the ignition? or can i simply run a wire to the + feed from the battrey to it to see if it is this causeing the problem.

thanks for the help btw

regards

paul

kenney
19-05-2008, 03:19 PM
You can run it from the battery +