PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my new toy today

AndyE66
12-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Picked up my Phantom Black 1.8 SE this morning:biglaugh: Everything I expected and more! Even better as I only ordered it 10 days ago - the dealer had virtually the spec I wanted in group stock, will retrofit cruise for free and based the price on a car without parking sensors despite them being fitted:D

I shall no doubt be conducting extensive road tests over the next few days, when I'm not cleaning it!

AndyH123
13-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Superb!

Cleaned my phantom black for the first time yesterday, so that's, um, 2 weeks from new I think. And then it rained. And then it chucked down hail stones again.

Anyway, retro-fit cruise you say? My dealer has promised this too, but they seem to be changing their tune slightly. We've gone from:

- Yep, it'll be done before you pick up the car
- Er, we tried, but noticed we've got cruise from an A5, not sure its compatible
- We're going to try it on one of ours before we do yours

Can you keep us posted on your experience with retro-fit cruise please? I'll do the same.

AndyE66
13-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Will do. I need to confirm with the service dept early in the week but the current plan is to bring it back in next Friday. It says cruise on the invoice so I'll hound them until they do it!

Also going to pick up the newly released iPhone cradle for the BT and see if that works as advertised. I was pleasantly surprised that the iPhone paired and transferred the phonebook without hassle as they're a bit temperamental.

Was going to give the car a good clean and wax today but it's currently chucking it down so that's on hold.

Smudge973
13-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Hello - New to this site...

Just about to order me 2.0 TDI SE with a few extas inc 18" - in Phantom black - This is a company lease car.

I have been waiting for 4 months for the B8 version to appear on the lease list.

I'm dreading the news re the wait etc.

How are you finding the performance, handling etc.

Regards,
Andy

STEWY L
13-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Was going to give the car a good clean and wax today but it's currently chucking it down so that's on hold.
bring it up here mate, it's sunny for a change:biglaugh:
stewy.

AndyE66
13-04-2008, 09:03 PM
How are you finding the performance, handling etc.

Regards,
Andy

Need to find a road that's free enough from speed cameras and pottering Mondeos to find out but from what I can tell the ride is good, steering's responsive, brakes are nice and progressive and there's enough power on tap though you do need to work the gears to get it motoring briskly. Be interesting to see how it loosens up.

AndyH123
14-04-2008, 10:14 AM
It's on my invoice too :)

RichardCranium
14-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Only waited 10 days!?!

Lucky sod!! lets have some piccies

AndyE66
14-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Only waited 10 days!?!

Lucky sod!! lets have some piccies

As you requested! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/25668481@N07)

The 10 days was pure luck, I was expecting 10 weeks or so!

The dealer has also got a silver R8 with black blades going if anyone wants one- a cancelled order that arrived last week. Only £93K give or take.

a8 tech
14-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Intresting,are the sales department telling you can retro fit cruise to b8 as you cant at present same as a5.Dont forget this b8 is basically a5 and there is no retro fit pack for cruise.Ill explain,vag com was great for b7 and lower models as you could manually code the control units but b8 software is a different kettle of fish.Adaptions are very limited and long hex codes are now transmitted online to the factory so if you wish to alter the steering colum electrics to allow cruise control and the server thinks the vehicle hasnt got it then you require a action code request to the factory so the server sends a corrected code down line.

Smudge973
14-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Harrogate Audi - My local dealer - What were they like?

Andy M

AndyE66
14-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Hmm. The sales guy was adamant it could be fitted. I need to chase him up tomorrow to confirm the installation, I'll see what he says then and if it's not possible how he intends to remedy the breach of contract.

AndyE66
14-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Harrogate Audi - My local dealer - What were they like?

Andy M

They were fine (though we'll see how the cruise retro-fit situation resolves itself). Phone calls were returned reasonably promptly. There was no hard sell for products I didn't want/need from them (e.g. paint protection, GAP insurance).

The vehicle was ready when I wanted it for. I'd originally told them that I wanted this week but told them last week I needed it by last weekend. The vehicle arrived last Friday and I collected it Saturday, hence me agreeing to bring it back to fit cruise.

The sales guy (I won't name names in public) wasn't the arrogant type you sometimes get in Audi dealerships.

Obviously I don't know about after-sales or service yet - I guess that'll unfold in due course. I've also ordered an iPhone cradle (was only released on the 11th) - we'll see how they handle that.

I'd certainly recommend them above York Audi - total contrast in attitude and performance.

RichardCranium
15-04-2008, 01:03 PM
I've been dealing with Huddersfield Audi for test drives etc, and fortunately been able to get Arval to order the car from them. They have been top-drawer so far.
From my initial interest, i have had two test drives, and also got invited to the launch. The particular, salesman i was dealing with (mentioning no names) has been really good.

Also went to another dealership, which is actually nearer my house, and they were terrible. Arrogant, and down right surly to be honest. When i spoke to the bloke there regarding lease companies, he couldnt get me out of there fast enough, and a test drive was out of the question.

DobarDabar
15-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi,

cruise control can be retrofitted, google for hazzyday. I wrote an e-mail and got positive reply. It's about 250£.

AndyE66
15-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Had a call about my cruise retro-fit. They're still saying that it can be fitted but the parts are on back-order. They reckon they'll have them by the end of this week or beginning of next.

I need to collect an iPhone cradle so I've an excuse to pop in and talk to the parts dept to try and find out what they've actually ordered.

a8 tech
17-04-2008, 03:26 PM
The part number for the switch pack is 8K0953568G but there is still no official retrofit proceedure at this time.

AndyE66
22-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Garage called today - cruise retrofit kit has arrived and I'm booked in for fitting Friday a.m. Should take an hour / hour and a half so they say. I'll report back on Friday.

mkc
23-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Any photos of this Phantom Black then?! :-)

AndyH123
23-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Garage called today - cruise retrofit kit has arrived and I'm booked in for fitting Friday a.m. Should take an hour / hour and a half so they say. I'll report back on Friday.

Good to know - thanks for that. My garage have gone dark, so this is useful information if they go vague when I next manage to talk to them.

AndyE66
23-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Any photos of this Phantom Black then?! :-)

Here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/25668481@N07). If it ever stops raining I'll do some in a more scenic location, also hoping to get a new camera later this week and Mrs AndyE66's getting a mk1 TT Roadster in a few days so I'll do a few more family photos.

Satch
23-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/25668481@N07). If it ever stops raining I'll do some in a more scenic location, also hoping to get a new camera later this week and Mrs AndyE66's getting a mk1 TT Roadster in a few days so I'll do a few more family photos.

Page not working.:(

AndyE66
23-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Odd - working for me on a mac and a pc :confused:

RichardCranium
23-04-2008, 03:15 PM
worked for me too;)

masonj
23-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Works here, looks very nice but you can never keep black cars clean.

------------------------------
A6 Le Mans Edition 2.7tdi Akoya Silver 19" rims, DVD Nav, AMI, colour DIS

Satch
23-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Working now, looks great. Enjoy.:beerchug:

AndyE66
24-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Works here, looks very nice but you can never keep black cars clean.

------------------------------
A6 Le Mans Edition 2.7tdi Akoya Silver 19" rims, DVD Nav, AMI, colour DIS

I know - this is my 3rd black car. One day I'll learn ;)

Working now, looks great. Enjoy
Thanks - I am!

AndyE66
25-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Cruise control now fitted and working :D

I borrowed a rather nice A4 2.7TDI multitronic with loads of extras whilst it was being fitted - very nice :approve:

AndyH123
25-04-2008, 03:54 PM
OK - proper jealous now, why won't my garage call me back to arrange my fitting!! :)

So no problems then? Does the car feel at all different? Is it just an additional stick out of the steering wheel, or does it work through MMI?

masonj
25-04-2008, 04:07 PM

I borrowed a rather nice A4 2.7TDI multitronic with loads of extras whilst it was being fitted - very nice :approve:

I have the same engine and box in my A6. Slightly disappointed with the engine as its so quiet I can only just hear that V6 growl. What were your impressions on the box, did you find it odd not changing gear?

AndyE66
25-04-2008, 06:06 PM
OK - proper jealous now, why won't my garage call me back to arrange my fitting!! :)

So no problems then? Does the car feel at all different? Is it just an additional stick out of the steering wheel, or does it work through MMI?

Its on an additional short stalk just below the indicators. When you set it a green indicator lamp shows in the speedo dial and the speed is shown on the DIS. When you change speed up or down using the cruise stalk the 'target' speed is shown on the DIS. Nudging the stalk up or down changes the set speed by +-1mph, holding changes the target up/down by 5mph increments.

The car doesn't feel different at all when the cruise is off. My previous car had cruise and as I do a fair few motorway and dual carriageway miles in heavy speed camera territory my driving licence (and fuel bill) will probably feel the benefit!

I'd give your dealer a good harsh talking to about their failure to live up to their contract with you if all you're getting is silence.

AndyE66
25-04-2008, 06:10 PM
I have the same engine and box in my A6. Slightly disappointed with the engine as its so quiet I can only just hear that V6 growl. What were your impressions on the box, did you find it odd not changing gear?

It did need some encouragement to make it growl ;) I took the back roads between home and the dealer (about 20 miles) so had a good play with the paddles whilst trying to avoid the ditches. In auto mode I thought it was a little slow to kick down and it was easier to use the paddles to get where I wanted.

My wife's getting a mk1 TT roadster 3.2 DSG next week so it was fun to practice with and I'd probably specify that kind of auto box on the next car I buy.

AndyH123
25-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info - like you my primary interest is pesky average speed zones and the occasional 0.3mile stretch where you can actually use cruise for comfort before someone or something gets in the way!

Good news - I got hold of the garage, they've been waiting for the part, have it now, doing test fitting tomorrow (I told them I have a success story from the Internet, they liked that) and I'll book a date for mine on Monday. Hurrah.

masonj
25-04-2008, 06:50 PM
It did need some encouragement to make it growl ;) I took the back roads between home and the dealer (about 20 miles) so had a good play with the paddles whilst trying to avoid the ditches. In auto mode I thought it was a little slow to kick down and it was easier to use the paddles to get where I wanted.

My wife's getting a mk1 TT roadster 3.2 DSG next week so it was fun to practice with and I'd probably specify that kind of auto box on the next car I buy.

I would never go back to a manual, had a DSG box in my Passat, very good box but make sure that you change the gearbox oil every 40000 miles or there will be big trouble with it.

AndyE66
25-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the info - like you my primary interest is pesky average speed zones and the occasional 0.3mile stretch where you can actually use cruise for comfort before someone or something gets in the way!

Good news - I got hold of the garage, they've been waiting for the part, have it now, doing test fitting tomorrow (I told them I have a success story from the Internet, they liked that) and I'll book a date for mine on Monday. Hurrah.

If they get stuck tell them to ring Harrogate Audi!

AndyE66
25-04-2008, 06:58 PM
I would never go back to a manual, had a DSG box in my Passat, very good box but make sure that you change the gearbox oil every 40000 miles or there will be big trouble with it.

Going slightly off-topic I know but do you know if the gearbox oil change would be part of the standard 40K service? This TT's got about 44000 on the clock and has an Audi FSH with the last service being at 40K.

I'll check with the dealer when we pick the car up but I prefer to know what the answer should be before I ask the question!

masonj
25-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Going slightly off-topic I know but do you know if the gearbox oil change would be part of the standard 40K service? This TT's got about 44000 on the clock and has an Audi FSH with the last service being at 40K.

I'll check with the dealer when we pick the car up but I prefer to know what the answer should be before I ask the question!

No, the gearbox oil is separate to the normal service and was a separet section in the VW service book. If the TT has missed the oil service Audit will probably not want to help is you have a DSG problem in the future.

warrenm14
06-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Sorry to stray a little off topic here also - but what/where did you get the iPhone cradle from? ay links etc?

AndyE66
06-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Sorry to stray a little off topic here also - but what/where did you get the iPhone cradle from? ay links etc?

Got it from my dealer. They were released the day before I picked up my car and I saw a post here (http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/viewtopic.php?t=113243&highlight=iphone+cradle) about it.

Part number is (I think) P A8P0 051 435 GP - at least that's what's on the invoice. There was a bulletin sent out to dealers about them, so they should know about them.

It doesn't do any more than let you charge the phone in-car and does not let you play music via the car audio system.

warrenm14
12-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Got it from my dealer. They were released the day before I picked up my car and I saw a post here (http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/viewtopic.php?t=113243&highlight=iphone+cradle) about it.

Part number is (I think) P A8P0 051 435 GP - at least that's what's on the invoice. There was a bulletin sent out to dealers about them, so they should know about them.

It doesn't do any more than let you charge the phone in-car and does not let you play music via the car audio system.
Andy,

Do you have it fitted now? any pics of it in action?

Cheers.

AndyE66
12-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Andy,

Do you have it fitted now? any pics of it in action?

Cheers.

Yes, fitted (took about 5 seconds to click into place).

Photos - here you go:

The empty holder fitted onto the base plate in the armrest:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll179/AndyE_66/DSC00093.jpg

The holder with the phone in place:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll179/AndyE_66/DSC00091.jpg

The A4 next to our other new toy (yes, I know they both need a wash ;) ):

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll179/AndyE_66/DSC00094.jpg

a8 tech
16-05-2008, 08:56 PM

I borrowed a rather nice A4 2.7TDI multitronic with loads of extras whilst it was being fitted - very nice :approve:fitted it myself today:biglaugh:

AndyH123
06-06-2008, 03:12 PM

Hey Andy - got my cruise fitted yesterday!! Took a while eh?! Made me laugh that the traffic on the way home was so bad I couldn't try it out.

Sadly I got a 1.8T for the day. Did mean I got to play with hill assist (quite nice), but was very happy to get mine back.

Tolmie18
06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Sadly I got a 1.8T for the day. Did mean I got to play with hill assist (quite nice), but was very happy to get mine back.[/quote]

What do you mean sadly you got a 1.8T?? Whats wrong with it? I'm getting one next month...:approve:

AndyH123
06-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Nothing wrong with it, they're all brilliant! I meant sadly in comparison to the other Andy getting a 2.7 to play with.

AndyE66
08-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Sadly I got a 1.8T for the day. Did mean I got to play with hill assist (quite nice), but was very happy to get mine back.

What do you mean sadly you got a 1.8T?? Whats wrong with it? I'm getting one next month...:approve:[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with a 1.8T, just the 2.7 was somewhat brisker (and the dealer was paying for the fuel) , if you get my drift.

davidson9
15-01-2010, 07:03 PM
What do you mean sadly you got a 1.8T?? Whats wrong with it? I'm getting one next month...:approve:

Nothing wrong with a 1.8T, just the 2.7 was somewhat brisker (and the dealer was paying for the fuel) , if you get my drift.[/QUOTE]

Nice.