PDA

View Full Version : interface not found.

tony19
12-04-2008, 09:16 PM
i got the cabbleODBII 409.1 today from eshrules but having problem running it.
downloaded vag com from ross tech, 409.1
when i try to test it says interface not found.
cabble is downloaded correctly.
info on computer says usb device installed and ready to use.
moved it on 2-3 usb ports but the same.
im running on WINDOWS XP SP2.

any suggestions?
thank you

paul b
12-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I too have this problem. I'm still working on it though!

Paul

paul b
12-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Tony19!

I have it sorted! I am assuming you have more than one com-port on your laptop/PC.

It would be easier if you have the following:
WinRAR archiver (free trial download).

START:

Install WinRAR archiver first.

Download VAG-COM 409.1 (the one on the right hand side of Eshrules's link).

Then download the drivers from Eshrules.

Install the VAG-COM BEFORE installing the drivers! It is then fairly self explanatory.

Then install the drivers. Again, self explanatory. Then, when it's finished, right click the drivers and use WinRAR to extract the files. Save them.

Plug the cable in.

Then go to Control Panel.

Click System.

Go to Hardware.

Select Device Manager.

Go to Ports COM and LPT. Click it.

Then USB ISO9141... should appear. At the end, it should give a COM Port number.

Right click it and select Properties.

Go to Port Settings and then Advanced.

The select either COM 1, COM 2, COM 3 or COM 4. Ensure the one you choose is not in use. I selected COM 3. Then it may say the device is not working correclty, in which case you need to add new hardware and select the driver from a list. Browse for the extracted files I told you to save earlier. Use this file as the selected driver.

NOW... This is the difficult bit...

Each time you plug your cable into a different USB slot, the COM Port number changes. What I did, was I kept plugging it in to different USB slots until it read: USB ISO9141... (COM 3). Each time you plug it into a different USB slot, it may ask you to select the driver I told you to save and add it as hardware. Find COM 3 and add the hardware. Click OK at the end and your COM Port settings should be saved.

Go to your car and plug the laptop/PC in.

Finally, open your VAG-COM software. Go to Options. I selected COM 3, but you select whichever you decided on earlier. Then click test. It should confirm that it has found the car and has began talking. After this, click SAVE, and this will save your COM Port settings.

Then enjoy playing with the diagnostics!

Paul

Corgi
13-04-2008, 12:12 AM
I did have the same trouble but have found these additionally helpful items on the forum!

Same kind of problem but in different thread:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=28028

Pictorial guide on how to setup/change com ports:
http://yassek.com/setcomonusben.html

Changing the Com port to 3 certainly worked for me :) BTW I'm running XP on an ancient borrowed laptop.

paul b
13-04-2008, 12:29 AM
I did have the same trouble but have found these additionally helpful items on the forum!

Same kind of problem but in different thread:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=28028

Pictorial guide on how to setup/change com ports:
http://yassek.com/setcomonusben.html

Changing the Com port to 3 certainly worked for me :) BTW I'm running XP on an ancient borrowed laptop.
Aye, I partly used them too. Those instructions are included in mine above. Quite decent isntructions seen as they were from an e-bay seller.

Paul

tony19
13-04-2008, 01:26 AM
thanks for the reply guys.
problem is when i click properties on ports the page open only with general option.
so there is so port settings etc.:confused:
tried to make a screenshot but couldnt.

tony19
13-04-2008, 01:33 AM
there it is:D

Corgi
13-04-2008, 02:22 AM
I believe the key to changing port settings is having the vagcom cable plugged into the laptop at the time.

Once plugged in the extra configuration options should be available Tony and it should be possible to choose which port to use, as per the link http://yassek.com/setcomonusben.html

In my case I changed it from port 5 to port 3 :) good luck matey!

tony19
13-04-2008, 02:35 AM
thanks for the reply corgi

the cabble is plugged, and changed it to 2-3 usb but still the same.

Corgi
13-04-2008, 11:19 AM
You're welcome Tony :) Have you tried changing the cable port to 1 and then 4 as well without success?

Another idea:
I read somewhere on the Ross-Tech website that vagcom doesn't always like the firewall application ZoneAlarm...just a long shot but if you have a firewall on your laptop maybe you could temporarily turn it off?

Aside from that I'm not all sure what else to suggest. Maybe eshrules can offer some guidance?

Good Luck

P.S. you're using the correct version of 409.1? Make sure you're using the "For MODERN SERIAL Interfaces" version. It seems the usb version is only for original Ross Tech cables.

paul b
13-04-2008, 07:50 PM
You're welcome Tony :) Have you tried changing the cable port to 1 and then 4 as well without success?

Another idea:
I read somewhere on the Ross-Tech website that vagcom doesn't always like the firewall application ZoneAlarm...just a long shot but if you have a firewall on your laptop maybe you could temporarily turn it off?

Aside from that I'm not all sure what else to suggest. Maybe eshrules can offer some guidance?

Good Luck

P.S. you're using the correct version of 409.1? Make sure you're using the "For MODERN SERIAL Interfaces" version. It seems the usb version is only for original Ross Tech cables.
Ah, Corgi, I bought the same cable as you from Eshrules, in the same group buy, yet I used the USB version and it works perfectly. It is not for Ross-Tech only cables, yet it says no 3rd party interfaces.

Tony, it sounds like the problem you have is that the drivers haven't loaded correctly. You do have to extract the files from the saved drivers that Eshrules's link has provided in order for it to work.

Then you have to work out which USB slot is COM 3, then select COM 3 in Device Manager, then select COM 3 in VAG-COM.

Paul

Corgi
13-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Paul

Glad to hear that both versions of 409.1 will work...I must have not been doing something right with the USB jobby :) That won't be a first for me on a computer :)

paul b
13-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Paul

Glad to hear that both versions of 409.1 will work...I must have not been doing something right with the USB jobby :) That won't be a first for me on a computer :)
No it wasn't easy, it took me (well not me really) hours!

In fact, it really was my son who installed it, as I was faffing with it and it kept saying interface not found. My son said "leave me alone so I can think in peace and I'll sort it". He realised that I had not matched the physical COM Port on the laptop with the correct COM Port in device manager and the COM Port on VAG-COM. He's 15 for crying out loud, yet he installed it and I couldn't. :o Damn! And I'm an ex-mechanic! Although back then working on Toyotas we didn't have diagnostic PC software. I suppose this is showing my age...

I should own up now as well, the instructions I put on this thread... my son compiled it! :o

Paul

Eshrules
13-04-2008, 09:29 PM
are all issues now resolved with this?

davidfbmw
13-04-2008, 09:31 PM
anyone any idea to get this working with vista,any help appreciated
Dave f

scc
13-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Dave f

Dave, I got mine working on Vista eventually.

What have you done so far and what problems are you having?

Si

paul b
13-04-2008, 11:56 PM
are all issues now resolved with this?
I'm okay, sounds like Corgi is, but not sure about Tony19 yet.

Paul

Eshrules
14-04-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm okay, sounds like Corgi is, but not sure about Tony19 yet.

Paul

If anyone has (from the looks of it) any issues other than the usual teething troubles of getting the software/cable to function properly on Vista, please drop me a PM or post a thread in my section and I will work with you to sort it out

thanks

:)

pgarner
14-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Dave f

dave easiest way is install vagcom on the desktop and NOT the program files as vista has tooooooooooo much security for programs

on the shortcut ( hopefully it should be on the desktop as well ) right click and select properties. then compatibility.
select run this program in compatibility mode and XP service pack 2

and at the bottom check run this program as an administrator

Corgi
14-04-2008, 07:53 PM
No it wasn't easy, it took me (well not me really) hours!

In fact, it really was my son who installed it, as I was faffing with it and it kept saying interface not found. My son said "leave me alone so I can think in peace and I'll sort it". He realised that I had not matched the physical COM Port on the laptop with the correct COM Port in device manager and the COM Port on VAG-COM. He's 15 for crying out loud, yet he installed it and I couldn't. :o Damn! And I'm an ex-mechanic! Although back then working on Toyotas we didn't have diagnostic PC software. I suppose this is showing my age...

I should own up now as well, the instructions I put on this thread... my son compiled it! :o

PaulIT and computers are the work of the devil :rolleyes:

I must admit I've never had to manually configure a port to get an application to work before. Still all's well that ends well, and I've learnt how to set the thing up. So that's good isn't it :)

I now feel like buying a car that I can control more of it's functionality via the vagcom app!:p

Uwe@Ross-Tech
15-04-2008, 02:19 PM
IT and computers are the work of the devil :rolleyes:

I must admit I've never had to manually configure a port to get an application to work before.

Nor is this necessary with any USB interface that we've ever sold. Install the drivers, select "USB" on the Options screen and off you go. Of course, ours do cost more. I guess the question is: What's your time worth? ;-)

-Uwe-

davidfbmw
15-04-2008, 05:14 PM
thank scc and pgarner wil try this when i get the time
Cheers for the help everyone

davidfbmw
19-04-2008, 01:20 PM
still not got this working on vista,just says vag com not working

tony19
19-04-2008, 02:55 PM
fixed it on my xp:D.

thank you guys

but couldnt extend the glow time, need to be registered.:(

Corgi
19-04-2008, 03:01 PM
still not got this working on vista,just says vag com not workingMaybe eshrules has a methodology you could follow? Sorry I can't help you much myself, am living in the past with XP I guess :Blush:.

Corgi
19-04-2008, 03:05 PM
fixed it on my xp:D.

thank you guys

but couldnt extend the glow time, need to be registered.:(I connected it to my ancient Polo 1.9 CL Open Air and I find I can't change much, if anything at all :) Still, getting the cable hooked up's a means to an end I guess, I'm looking forwards to getting something more recent in the not tooooo distant future.