PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Veg oil?

Kev@KSport
12-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi,

Just bought a Estate CL 1.9 TDi to use as a daily and drive and to tow my other car on a trailer.

I was thinking about using Veg oil or 50/50 veg/diesel, anybody doing this, are the fuel pumps prone to fail when using oil rather than diesel on these cars?

Thanks

molgrips
15-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm using 100% veg oil. It works fine apart from 10 seconds or so of misfiring if it's really cold. Give it a few glow plug cycles before you start if it's cold (or even if it's not) - and I don't mean just waiting til the yellow light goes out - the glow plugs stay on for about 10-15 seconds until you hear a click - do that three times and you should be fine.

My car does have a bit of a noise from the injection pump sometimes but I'm not sure this is related as it only appeared when I changed the cam belt...

Kev@KSport
15-04-2008, 10:58 PM

Seems reasonable on juice anyway, even at the daft prices.

However did the first bit of towing tonight, and needed 1st gear up one of the hills round here, most of the time just flat in second 4K revs.

Could do with more boost!

I might try the Veg oil once it gets a little warmer, and see what sort of price it comes in at in bulk.

molgrips
16-04-2008, 03:17 AM
I just read your post again, I notice that you say you have a TDi rather than a TD I should've said that the distinction is really important. The AAZ engine in the TD is the one that works fine on 100% veggie oil, because it uses indirect injection. If you use veggie in a direct injection engine it WILL knacker it sooner or later unless you do some kind of conversion.

Kev@KSport
16-04-2008, 09:52 PM
again thanks, I've started with a safe 10:90 veg:deisel - but veg aint that much of a saving @98p/L from Asda :( (Vs 114.9

CATOMITE
07-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi Mate, Dont Know If You Are Intrested But They Did A Series On Discovery Channel Called Chop Shop And One Of The Episodes They Convert A Diesel Fourwheel Drive To Run On Veg Oil, If You Are Intrested I Should Have Recorded The Episode If U Pm Me Ill Try To Find It And Post It To You