PDA

View Full Version : Clunking sound when Braking

Huxly
12-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi All,

My first post so please be gentle...

I have a 2000 MK4 Golf 1.6se, which I've just bought a month ago. It has developed a clunking noise when braking, seems to come from the front drivers side.
I took it to VW who had a quick look and said the pads are fitted the wrong way around??

They didn't have time to put it right for me so I decided to have a look myself. The pads have clips on both inner & outer pads, and the wear indicator is on the inside of the caliper. So I assume the are fitted correctly.
I was wondering if they are missing a retaiing clip of some sort? Don't know if I have the FN3 or FS3 cailpers, the Haynes manual is a bit vague...

If its not missing anything, then I'm thinking poor quality pads which are just moving a little when braking...(?)

Anyone else had similar problems?

regards
Andy

JB1666
13-04-2008, 03:23 AM
take it a quick fit garge they do a free brake test, hope it helps:p

Col
13-04-2008, 10:12 AM
You've got the FS3 caliper.

As a double check, it should be stamped on the caliper itself.

vwgolfmk416
13-04-2008, 03:46 PM
I have the same car as you (1.6se 2000 model) and heard a 'clunk' after severe breaking once and wondered what it was but not had any problem since. Have you managed to find a remedy?

Huxly
16-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Hi Guys,

Finally managed to remedy my 'clunking when braking noise'.
I fitted VW approved front brake pads and the noise magically vanished !

I guess the cheap third party pads may have been slightly smaller than they should have, and were moving a little under braking.

VW's pads cost £46. A bit steep but well worth it.

Thanks for all your help

regards
Andy

killaq
12-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi All,

My first post so please be gentle...

I have a 2000 MK4 Golf 1.6se, which I've just bought a month ago. It has developed a clunking noise when braking, seems to come from the front drivers side.
I took it to VW who had a quick look and said the pads are fitted the wrong way around??

They didn't have time to put it right for me so I decided to have a look myself. The pads have clips on both inner & outer pads, and the wear indicator is on the inside of the caliper. So I assume the are fitted correctly.
I was wondering if they are missing a retaiing clip of some sort? Don't know if I have the FN3 or FS3 cailpers, the Haynes manual is a bit vague...

If its not missing anything, then I'm thinking poor quality pads which are just moving a little when braking...(?)

Anyone else had similar problems?

regards
Andy

i have the same problem when breaking its makes a knocking noise when i apply breaks, also it knocks when accelarating or goin over bumps, its coming from the drivers door side, cant figure out what it is,

tdigolf
13-05-2009, 01:23 PM
damper maybe?