PDA

View Full Version : TDI Estate Exhaut torture!

JohnSt
12-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi,
My new to me 96 b4 estate, has a really annoying:aargh4::aargh4: harmonic type loud vibration/rattle at 1200 & 2400rpm.
I wondered if any one out there had solved this problem if so i would really appreciate a tip.
I you hold the pipe at the tail it goes away, I tried fitting an extra bracket and tie on the long mid section pipe with limited success.
Any ideas :confused: would be much appreciated.
Ta.

Kev@KSport
13-04-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm also new to Passats, but this sort of thing is generic.

If its the exhaust it could be the heatsheilds, often around the cat on petrol cars.

Is it catching anywhere? bent out of shape?

Are all the rubber hangers in good condition?

JohnSt
14-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Ta for the input Kevin,
No all the hangers are good, and it stays well clear of the heat shields.
It only happens at 1200 & 2400 rpm.
Since my first post I have been told VW may have made a modified exhaust to sort this problem,but I can't find any info on it?
I wondered if replacing the engine mounts may help.

erico
19-04-2008, 10:17 AM
I had the same problem with mine when we bought it. I replaced the rubber hangers and the noise went away. Two years have gone by and the noise never returned.

I looked through the VAG circulars in my Bentley subscription. I did not find anything about motor mount replacement nor dealer required warranty mods/replacements to the exhaust system either. I hope that helps to answer your question.

cheers.
Erico

JohnSt
19-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Erico,:beerchug:Ta for the info and the search on modified exhausts.
If it ever stops raining in Wiltshire Iwill try new new hangers, and let you know the result.
Regards JS.

JohnSt
21-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Erico Hi,
The good news! We had a dry spell in Wilts that allowed me to change the exhust hangers!!
The bad news!! I still have the harmonic vibratiion at 1200 & 2400 rpm.
While grovelling beneath the beast, I also checked the front down pipe flexy section was nice and free and flexible which it was so i'm back to square one.
I have managed to moderate the vibration by a heath robinson arrangement giving some sideways pull on the back box,(pulling the twin pipes at the end of the system to the near side) which is not the most eligant solution but has given me about a 60% reduction in the vibration.