PDA

View Full Version : Black Smoke troubles

65cabby
12-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I wasn't sure which thread to pin this too so I though I'd start my own.

I've got very similar troubles to quite a few threads all with different outcomes.

It is just getting embarrassing to drive [/SIZE][/FONT]
I know the feeling the wife is refusing to use it.

At about 1800rpm in 3rd it billows, but I've also got a growling. Although only under strain. I thought it was a loose alternator belt, the tensioner was shot so I replaced that but the noise is still there.
I also cleaned out the EGR, it was like a coal mine. The smoking looked to be better but I thought the best solution was a new EGR.
Now that's replaced I'm still getting the same terrible smoking, at the same time I cleaned the pipes down to the intercooler and also the inlet manifold.

I also don't have any VAG-COM error codes

From what I've been reading it could be :
boost controller (N75 valve)
MAF sensor (although more for symptoms of power loss)
temperature sensor
Spilt Intercooler
Split pipe to the turbo

Any other options?

I'mw going to start with the pipe work.

kenney
12-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi What is your engine code?

65cabby
12-04-2008, 03:00 PM
the Log book says AVF, it's a 1.9 TDI

But I found a problem, the lower pipe from the turbo has a split in it, it was a pig to remove and now I've realised everywhere is closed today.
Eurocarspares says it's an order only part (which I had expected) but to call back monday to order it.

This is the pipe in question, it connects to the side of the turbo and drops drown to the pipe which crosses the front of the engine to the intercooler.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q270/65cabby/TurboPipe.gif

Hopefully this will be the only problem.

kenney
12-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Most likely

65cabby
14-04-2008, 07:19 PM
So VW had the pipe in stock, they were very helpful over the phone and faxed over their version of the diagram above to confirm the part. PN 3B0145828G. It was a steep £70 but does have two bends in it. :p

Anyway after a quick run I think it has sorted the problem, I now only get the black smoke on demand :) when I boot it.

I'm now wondering if the ECU needs to reset to think it doesn't need to over fuel. Does the diesel ECU behave like that.

It was the wooshing sound that made me start at the pipe work, which has obviously now gone.

kenney
14-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi The ECU does not need to be reset.There is probably a lot of soot on the exhaust system a good hard run should clear it.You will get a certain amount of soot as you say when you boot it.