PDA

View Full Version : Which software do i download from ross tech?

spence_star
12-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Guys

I jus recieved my VagCom lead which i bought on a Group Buy from Eshrules, i was told i can download the relevant software to my laptop from Ross Techs website, although when i went onto the site i didnt know which software i should download.

I have the USB 409.1
Audi A3 1.8T 1996 (P) 8L

If Ross tech is here please advise.

Much appreciated
Spencer

PeteK
12-04-2008, 01:14 PM
The following link was posted on the group buy post mate ;)

Right Guys,

Links....

for the drivers, please go here - http://www.mediafire.com/?hymsh94d5xs

for the rosstech trial software, please go here - http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/archives.html

Use the 409.1 software (at the bottom of the page on the left)

spence_star
12-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Right,

I think i have the correct software for this now but when i connect it all up and do a test it only seems to pick up com 3 and says ok, but says interface is not ready. How the hell do i get it to kno the interface?

Uwe@Ross-Tech
12-04-2008, 03:05 PM
If Ross tech is here please advise.

Ah, I hate to sound unhelpful, but providing start-up support for the interfaces he supplied is Eshrule's responsibility.

That said, as a general rule with 3rd party USB cables, you need to match up the virtual COM port that the drivers have created with the port you've got selected in VC. So open Device Manager on your PC and check what COM port number is assigned to the virtual COM port that corresponds to your interface.

-Uwe-

Corgi
12-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi Spence_star

I'm having the same trouble but have found this on the forum, which may help us! :)

Same kind of problem but in different thread:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=28028

How to setup/change com ports:
http://yassek.com/setcomonusben.html

Am just about to try it while Casualty is on(a prog I can't stand!) :)

paul b
13-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Tony19!

I have it sorted! I am assuming you have more than one com-port on your laptop/PC.

It would be easier if you have the following:
WinRAR archiver (free trial download).

START:

Install WinRAR archiver first.

Download VAG-COM 409.1 (the one on the right hand side of Eshrules's link).

Then download the drivers from Eshrules.

Install the VAG-COM BEFORE installing the drivers! It is then fairly self explanatory.

Then install the drivers. Again, self explanatory. Then, when it's finished, right click the drivers and use WinRAR to extract the files. Save them.

Plug the cable in.

Then go to Control Panel.

Click System.

Go to Hardware.

Select Device Manager.

Go to Ports COM and LPT. Click it.

Then USB ISO9141... should appear. At the end, it should give a COM Port number.

Right click it and select Properties.

Go to Port Settings and then Advanced.

The select either COM 1, COM 2, COM 3 or COM 4. Ensure the one you choose is not in use. I selected COM 3. Then it may say the device is not working correclty, in which case you need to add new hardware and select the driver from a list. Browse for the extracted files I told you to save earlier. Use this file as the selected driver.

NOW... This is the difficult bit...

Each time you plug your cable into a different USB slot, the COM Port number changes. What I did, was I kept plugging it in to different USB slots until it read: USB ISO9141... (COM 3). Each time you plug it into a different USB slot, it may ask you to select the driver I told you to save and add it as hardware. Find COM 3 and add the hardware. Click OK at the end and your COM Port settings should be saved.

Go to your car and plug the laptop/PC in.

Finally, open your VAG-COM software. Go to Options. I selected COM 3, but you select whichever you decided on earlier. Then click test. It should confirm that it has found the car and has began talking. After this, click SAVE, and this will save your COM Port settings.

Then enjoy playing with the diagnostics!

Paul

This might help.

Paul