PDA

View Full Version : Used VW estates

Katherine
20-02-2005, 12:46 AM
Hi there :D

Just wondering if you could advise me on another dilemma!! ;)

My boyfriend needs a new car for work - he's a builder - so we're thinking of a second hand VW estate.

The problem is we don't really know much about VW estates and any problems that they may have once they are a few years old. :confused:

We would obviously need something that was reliable, economical, fairly cheap and easy to run and service, but something that isn’t going to cost us a fortune to buy!!

We were thinking that the car would be a few years old, and are not too fussed about it having a great spec, as it would only be for work, and would get wrecked anyway as a builder's work car!!

Any suggestions on which model or year of reg or what problems to look out for?

Katherine :D

stuart
20-02-2005, 08:31 PM
I would have thought a van would be more suitable for a builder, and VW do some excellent, and reliable vehicles. On the smaller side is the VW Caddy, or the VW Transporter on the larger "Transit" size, both excellent for the building trade.

But, if you want a vehicle which could be dual purpouse, then any of the VW estates are reliable, The Golf or Passat are your choices. Both are very reliable, if maintained well, and can be found at reasonable prices in Auto Trader.

As for any common faults, I don't sell many parts at work for these that could be classed as common faults, apart from Wishbone bushes, and suspension mounts, both relatively cheap to replace.

What you need to do is look around, VAG cars hold there value well, so any used, well maintained car will cost a little more than most others.

Hope this helps a bit.

Stuart