PDA

View Full Version : Corrado witha couple of problems - Should i?

Kelly B
12-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Hello All

Some info if you please. I may be swapping my FTo which has no problems at all for a Corrado VR6 with a couple of problems...but im thinking i might put the engine in my mk3 cabby. Right he has a coolant problem he keeps filling it up every three week or so and sometimes there is steam under the bonnet, does this mean the head is going? Also the gearbox every few days when reversing or sometimes when pulling away you get a groan, it literally lasts for 2-3 seconds as you manouvre out of position.

What you think? There is nothing wrong with my FTO is pristine...

regards
Kelly
x

neil w
13-04-2008, 05:27 PM
The coolant problem could be something as simple as a leak from one of the housings (the plastic take offs warp) or the header tank as they split on the seam. BUT it could be a lot more serious and expensive to fix, head gaskets etc.
Personally i wouldn't touch anything with a VR6 engine in with miles approaching or over 100,000 (see the net re timing chain horrors)
The creaking may be something as simple as a engine mount allowing movement .
The vr6 costs a fortune to work on as parts are a nightmare price and it was never one of Vw's finest motors

Stan 24v
06-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Doesnt sound like too much of an issue to me.

Check the oil for water, if none then its more than likely a perished hose.

The moaning could just be a mount, or maybe the linkage needs greasing. it may even be something stupid like a sticky caliper.

With regards to a VR6 over 100k, there nothing wrong with that at all!!! The worst thing that can happen is the chain guides, and tensioner, will be ****** and could cause the chain to fail prematurely, however there are VR's with over 200k on the original! If you were that worried then just get new guides, tensioner and chain fitted, £500 for a newer more reliable MKIV guide and tensioner and chain which will last another 200k +

Also the VR does NOT cost a fortune to work on, you just need to look after it and take it to a reputable dealer.

Check out www.the-corrado.net for more info.

erico
13-05-2008, 03:00 PM
I concur with Stan 24v's response. Water in the oil (visible as droplets on the dipstick) means that chances are that the head gasket is blown.

If you are familiar with VW engine repair practices and are willing to do it yourself (as I have done) it won't cost you a fortune to repair it. Just shop wisely for decent prices for parts. That equates to not shopping for parts at the Dealer (AKA: the *******:D).

BTW check the compression on the cylinders to see if all are within @10% of each other. That will give you a good indication of engine health. If you won a VAG-COM interface and laptop...hook it up and see what OBD diagnostic codes are present.

I absolutely loved my Corrado and hated having to sell it when I moved to the Netherlands. I just wasn't willing to pay the import taxes and shipping costs. I guess that makes me a bit of a cheap ******* but not a broke one.

Cheers,
Eric