PDA

View Full Version : TYRES -What do people recomend

andy pen
12-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi all been running my B5 since sept 06 and coming up for a tyre change anybody recomend any particular make. Need hard wearing as allready done 12k miles thinking goodyear eagals as used to use these on my old car and lasted and more importantly griped well.
Thought I'd put it out to the forum as new to these and its alot heavier than my previous work car.

BLASTER
12-04-2008, 12:03 PM
I have Firestone TZ 200 on my passat estate and they've done some miles and there's plenty of rubber left on them yet, only £55 each when I got them last year, good soild tyre.....:approve:

PeteK
12-04-2008, 12:26 PM
For the last few years I have always used Continental tyres. Not the cheapest around but the grip and longevity are excellent. Prior to that I used a budget make called Stunner which I had no complaints with, however they did seem to wear out a lot quicker negating any benefits of the cheaper price.

andy pen
12-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the replys,firestone's have'nt used them since my last yank tank forgot all about them will put them back on the list.I've never tried continental's price always put me off but if they last its got to be worth a try.Think it's time to ring a few tyre places

Digidick
12-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Nankang NS2's are great value for money. Had them on my BMW 328 Touring after being highly recomended from my BMWCar forum and will get them again when the Passat Sport needs new rubber.

Bought them from here
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s291p543

and took them to our local Ford Rapid Fit Centre for fitting at £5.20 each corner, bargain!

PeteK
12-04-2008, 01:18 PM
This place also seem to have some good deals, http://www.mytyres.co.uk/ . I used to work in the motor trade and always got my tyres at trade cost price, however some of the prices they list are cheaper than what I could get them for.

minty0_10
12-04-2008, 02:39 PM
ive seen 9k on a set of Nankangs myself good value for money i found

Digidick
12-04-2008, 03:03 PM
ive seen 9k on a set of Nankangs myself good value for money i found

9k!!! is that all?

I would hope for 12k at least. Might have to rethink when the time comes.

minty0_10
12-04-2008, 03:07 PM
i think thats not bad going for a front wheel drive car and the passats no light weight.
you could well get 12k on brand make tyres but you would also probably pay not far off double the price!

Digidick
12-04-2008, 03:21 PM
i think thats not bad going for a front wheel drive car and the passats no light weight.
you could well get 12k on brand make tyres but you would also probably pay not far off double the price!

Yeah true. I've been away from FWD cars for a while as I've only RWD BMW's for the past 5 years.

My Passat has cheapo's on from when I bought it 2 months ago which are quite new so I'll see how they go. I'll also switch front to back I think and then buy 4 at once.

minty0_10
12-04-2008, 03:24 PM
from what i can remenber i think ive bought 3 front pairs to 1 rear pair

Motorway
12-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I have just sold my B5 estate which i renewed the Dunlops it came with after 28000 miles at the front, i went to a local non chain tyre fitter and he had some Vredestein at £54 each fitted and balenced they had 7mm of tread new and when i sold the car at 35800 miles they still had 6mm left on them. they seemed like good value and they gripped well in the wet. sorry i cannot remember the model of the tyre but i am sure if you do a google on "Vredestien" you should find one to suit your car.

Frank.A
12-04-2008, 08:14 PM
The original fit Dunlops on the front were changed at 27k for Vredestein Sportrac as these came out beat in Auto Express tests.
The Dunlops on the back are still going stong at 32K.
Here's a link to Auto Express Tests.

http://www.tyremen.co.uk/downloads/Auto_Express2006.pdf

Best,
Frank

onzarob
12-04-2008, 08:35 PM
I got 20K on a front set with Michelin Primacy's ;) but they are a little more expensive. I now have Goodyear NCT5's wearing very well, they are a little harder but I wanted good wear rather than full on cornering ability...its a diesel not a sports car:D

Cost £110 fitted as the local tyre dealer.

PS I have an A4 1.9TDI its the same as a passat (B5);)

andy pen
13-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies guy's Verdestein sound really good and my local independant dose them so I think I'll try them as I'm probably going to be doing best part of 30k in next year or less (work more work not enought play time) but the goodyears sound hard wearing as well so I'll see what the prices come out like as I travel length of cornwall almost daily wear is the most important thing I'll save up for super grippy tyres for my project car after the paint and turbo fitment the B5 is after all a derv burner not a racer.Thanks again for all the help everyone

Ben a4
13-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I would highly recommend Goodyear Excellance,had them on my Volvo T5 and liked them so much i have put them on the Audi.Very good grip,both wet and dry,under braking and when giving it full power on take off.About £220 from Mytyres.

Ben.

snapdragon
13-04-2008, 06:37 PM
I second the Goodyear Excellence. They're a relatively new tyre and the latest technology in comfort and quietness while retaining the secure grip in all conditions. They were reasonably priced at £65 each at 205 55 16, and are standard fit on the Mercedes S class. :biglaugh:

http://eu.goodyear.com/uk_en/tires/repository/Excellence/index.jsp

dib
14-04-2008, 06:35 PM
I have just changed the fronts (Firestones) on my 2001 100bhp 1.9tdi after 25000 miles and they were just on the wear bars. No prizes for guessing what I have replaced them with? .........
Firestone SZ80's at £57 each fitted.

kalas
07-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Bit late on this thread I know, but I've had Verdestien Ultracs on my 130 6 speed for 10 months now. The wet weather performance is astonishing and have had over 20k out of them and there is still some left.

andy pen
10-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Well I went to my local independant and he recomended some semprites on the V rating as he recons they wear really well. They were also £10 cheaper than verdestien's and he recons. they wear just as well so on they went.550 miles this week and once scrubbed in they are very impressive so I'll see how they wear now fingers crossed.

davey_g23
10-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Currently running on Michelin Energy tyres. Front pair have done about 10000 and are about half worn.

sp900
14-05-2008, 07:09 AM
I have had my B5 since 2003. Bought it off the dealer on 2k on the clock.

I ALWAYS buy http://www.michelin.co.uk tyres. I find the cheapest place to get them is COSTCO - (they only sell Michelin) generally half the price of KwikFit etc.. and Costco fit them also. The latest things they also do is fill the types with Nitrogen (supposed to be better then air!)

www.costco.co.uk for the nearest place.

B0ff
14-05-2008, 01:01 PM
latest things they also do is fill the types with Nitrogen (supposed to be better then air!)
Which according to the AA (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/filling-tyres-with-nitrogen.html)is fairly pointless unless you're planning to drive in -40c conditions or take part in motorsport.. :confused:

JayB5UK
14-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Which according to the AA (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/filling-tyres-with-nitrogen.html)is fairly pointless unless you're planning to drive in -40c conditions or take part in motorsport.. :confused:

I heard it was less susceptible to varying as much as normal air, but hey, we aren't talking Motorcycle or Motorsport here, agreed.
But, tyre pressures are very important!

I am keen on running Continentals myself, good life and good grip, wet or dry.
Have heard the Goodyear Excellence are highly rated, but if you are on a budget, I have had a set of Marangoni (Italian) Vantos on my old A4 and they were excellent tyres, I only paid £42(ish) each delivered but had to pay for fitting. Got them from www.mytyres.net (http://www.mytyres.net) in Germany, they show test reults against all or most of the tyres they sell. The Marangoni's I bought scored as high as Michelin / Pirelli / Continental etc.
Not keen on Michelin, but have them on the front of the Passat - avoid the HP Primacy ones though if you are a keen driver, they let go quite suddenly and are crap in the wet!

andy pen
16-05-2008, 06:54 PM
As air is nearly all nitrogen I really don't see the point read about this in a few places and is really not much use unless your running a top fuel dragster or an formula car just wasting money

scotty33
23-05-2008, 06:50 AM
I just got a pair of Kumho Ecsta on the front of my Audi Coupe, 215 45 17's £67 fitted. I heard good reports about these and I find the grip is excellent, too early to tell how they wear...
I did get really good milage out of a set of camac tyres on the the b5 passat, but they were not good in the rain.

hongkongstuey
26-05-2008, 07:25 PM
not happy with my new tyres, i must have only done 1500 miles and they are wearing on the edges!! with small peaks on the tread blocks? my daily drive is about 30 miles and 15 roundabouts, had the tracking checked and they said it was spot on when i got the tyres fitted, but 2.2 degrees sounded a bit much to me? is that right for a 99 passat b5 tdi?

the tyres are soft admittedly but they lasted 8000 miles on my last car doing the same journey, that was a lighter car though, but in my defence, im driving a lot less frantic now and the tyres havent lost grip yet once! falken 912's, losing faith :( what would anyone recommend for 10k and 50 ish each, for next time, im feeling it wont be the usual 6 months till i change them! :(

onzarob
26-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Edge wear is common for high speed roundabouts;), but 2.2 degree toe in seems high, it should be almost neutral/zero IIRC.

hongkongstuey
26-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Edge wear is common for high speed roundabouts;), but 2.2 degree toe in seems high, it should be almost neutral/zero IIRC.

thats what i thought about the toe? im presuming i can go and get them to set it to 0-0.5 ish, it doesnt wander or pull under braking and just gone through an mot.

onzarob
26-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I've just checked the haynes manual for the A4 (Its the same underneath) and it says toe in 10' (minutes) which translates to 0.16 Degree toe in +- 0.3 so almost dead straight:D

andy pen
24-06-2008, 02:26 PM
UPDATE

The semprites are doing really well no sign of wear and super grip in all conditions including torrential down pours and really hot dry and wet roads(british summer in cornwall very typical).very happy with them:beerchug:

ROBH
26-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Have bought many of the makes mentioned here and currently using Avon ZV5 costing around £60 ea on my 1.9TDI 2001.

Dr1deck
14-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi all been running my B5 since sept 06 and coming up for a tyre change anybody recomend any particular make. Need hard wearing as allready done 12k miles thinking goodyear eagals as used to use these on my old car and lasted and more importantly griped well.
Thought I'd put it out to the forum as new to these and its alot heavier than my previous work car.

My Audi came with Continental Contact 2 's( 215/40/18)...these lasted 12000 miles on the front...replaced them with Kumho Ecsta 's these have just been renewed after 23000 miles (total 39000 miles).

So definitely hard wearing, and handling felt no different.

TSwede
14-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I have an A6 and I think it has had continental conti sports on since new - I phoned National tyres to ask about new continentals or possible alternatives - they reckoned that these cars are better with the continentals...

Dr1deck
15-12-2008, 12:59 AM
I have an A6 and I think it has had continental conti sports on since new - I phoned National tyres to ask about new continentals or possible alternatives - they reckoned that these cars are better with the continentals...

I have had five audi A4s from new, not all were delivered with continentals so even Audi dont support them 100%.

I,m sure that they are better in some respects they are twice the price, but in my experience dont last anywhere near as long.

TSwede
15-12-2008, 01:56 PM
What else have they come with - I ask because I need 4! So expensive...

discobarry
15-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Aren't some Audi's coming out on Hankook now?

BTW Good tyres aren't going to be cheap, you should ask if you should have such a vehicle if you cannot afford the tyres or begrudge paying for them?

TSwede
15-12-2008, 10:43 PM
That's an excellent value judgment discobarry...

I wasn't going to slap remoulds on it - and do want to remain safe.. but this car cost me £750 and I'm not going to buy the most expensive tyres I can because Audi chose to... I simply want 'Best Value'

I have a track/race car too and spend a packet on tyres.. If I just go down to Kwik-Fit and have what they recommend every time I buy some I'll be living outside the bus station in no time..

That's the beauty of forums! I can have a discussion about it first!!

onzarob
15-12-2008, 10:51 PM
I've got goodyear NCT 5's Great tyre and cost £115 for 2 about a year ago they are front and have done 13.5K so far and still have a good 4mm left yet. I have a set on the back that have done 23K:D

hth

Rob

mattcr40
22-12-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm new to the forum but I did noticed the question, I have a 2001 Audi A6 2.7t and after about a month of researched religiously I settling for my tires. Bar none for the price of around $420.00 from discounttiredirect.com the Falken Ziex ZE-912 was the tire for me. A 40K mile warranty road side hazard warranty, shipping included and of course the courtesy of free metal valve stems was an easy decision. The handling of the vehicle increased and the quietness and comfort of the ride is second to none. I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but that’s because I'm extremely happy with my choice of a tire that outperforms other more expensive counterparts.

Good luck in finding the right tire for you,

mattcr40

TSwede
22-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks Matt - I've just bought two tyres - will get the other two at a later date - I got Continental Sport Contact 2's for 67 each fitted - which I thought was pretty cheap....

mattcr40
22-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Congrats on the quick hunting? Are you in the UK or the US?

TSwede
22-12-2008, 11:47 PM
UK - cheap tyres were in Macclesfield!

US would have been 'Tires' I guess...

dan~
23-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Anyone used Kumho KU31? I used them on one tyre on my old Audi A6, for a week then sold it, but any idea what there like to live with?

Handle well in rain?

Mr Pulsar
28-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Yokohama Parada's- Handle well in wet/dry surfaces.

PETER G
03-01-2009, 10:11 PM
When I bought my Passat 1.9 tdi second hand it had dunlop sp's on, yhe car was a 100 bhp that I had remapped & now the front tyres need changing, but only after getting 20k out of them. Not bad.

onemanparty
14-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks Matt - I've just bought two tyres - will get the other two at a later date - I got Continental Sport Contact 2's for 67 each fitted - which I thought was pretty cheap....

Lucky you I just had to buy 1 Dunlop Sport Maxx GP tyre cost £270 :aargh4:

Foxwah
26-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Don't put Dunlop SP1's on it. I have had to change 3 of mine as the side walls are distorted resulting in uneven tyre wear and the side wall of one bulged out in two places and split. Not bad with a good 5 mm of tread left !!

Andy JB
05-02-2009, 10:57 AM
You don't say what size you are running, however, I have used Continental Sport Contact with great success wet & dry for all yeaer round ability & durability. Also OE fit i believe

Top draw tyre & prices but shop around and you can get these for medium price money.

FWIW Also used Yokohama S306 on my A6 with success especially in wet

bladerider666
05-02-2009, 11:05 AM
you cant get better grip than from toyo t1 r tyres, great in dry and even better in wet!! quiet too, not the cheapest but it is the only thing connecting your car to the road!!!!

Frenchman
05-02-2009, 11:18 AM
I am having 4 Uniroyal rainsport 2 fitted on Saturday, they have fantastic reviews for both grip and comfort, so nice and quiet.

They are 225/40/18 fitted at my house for £105 each, been the budget route before and they are ok if you don't mind the noise and lack of grip in the wet.

Frenchman

Dr1deck
05-02-2009, 03:02 PM
UPDATE

I use 235/40/18 tyres, on a 57 plate Audi A4 S line with sports suspension.
I have previously stated on this forum that I liked the Kumho Ecsta Sport...........................I would like to withdraw that................for some reason this second set I have had fitted are unbearable the noise is so bad I thought my wheel bearings had gone and went to Audi.
They renewed them only to realise the noise was the tyres.

Now replacing with Continental Contact Sport 3, I have had two replaced at £175 each, now need to do the other two, any one know where these are cheaper!!

a4suction
06-02-2009, 01:11 AM
I've been running Michelin Pilot S's 225/45/ R18's for the last 13 months and found them to be hard wearing. Sourced 'em from Ebay for 170 quid for 4 tyres brand new. 20K worth of up and down the country, just about coming up for the time to swap front for rear to get that little extra life!

cazyp
06-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I always have any good quality economy tyres fitted as mine is a taxi, as you can imagine they get a lot of hard use.
I always get at least 25'000 out of the fronts as they're a hard rubber. £65 for 2 fitted.
The tyre garage I use is a one man band - very trustworthy.
Last set I had were Matador - excellent - good grip and 28'000 miles on the front set before I changed them @ 3mm.