PDA

View Full Version : What can i stick this down with!?

jonbaker
11-04-2008, 01:00 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=24323

was my original post with no replies. See there for pics.

It's got worse so i need to get it sorted. I want to get it right first time so can anyone recommend a good plastic to metal adhesive?

dansansome
11-04-2008, 01:17 PM
araldite?

well, a 2 part epoxy anyway...

i stuck a length of metal bar across the top of a plastic trim piece (which had snapped in half) with araldite a few years back, and it did the trick nicely.

adamss24
11-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi, i think you need a new lower trim not that expensive from dealer, they have metal clips that rust and eventually peel of. I had replaced them all on mine(b5 1998) and they were £25 for the front doors and £18 for the rears. You might not like the difference between new trim and old trim though, unless you use some back-to-black polish !

Sam
11-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Double-sided velcro - strongest you can find :)

Or go the safe route suggested by adamss24 above.

aceonatruck
11-04-2008, 06:38 PM
had same problem on pug 406, clean up as best you can, remove any traces of glue !! etc, & then run a bead of CLEAR silicon along the length of the strip, press down into place ( till excess silicone oozes out ) wet finger to smooth off & remove excess, try to get a fast cure silicone Ie, dow corning & voila job done !! dave

kimandsally
11-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I also favor the silicon route, should hold forever.

jonbaker
11-04-2008, 10:26 PM
thanks for all the ideas fellas, appreciated. Where can i get this silicone or araldite malarky from? a nice link to the correct product would be great :D:beerchug:

Ben
11-04-2008, 10:27 PM
thanks for all the ideas fellas, appreciated. Where can i get this silicone or araldite malarky from? a nice link to the correct product would be great :D:beerchug:

any diy store

b&q
wickes
homebase
£1 shop

jonbaker
11-04-2008, 10:40 PM
any diy store

b&q
wickes
homebase
£1 shop

I really am useless aren't i lol cheers

onzarob
11-04-2008, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't go for for araldite, too strong and if you want to change the trim it will damage the paint. costing more than a new trim in the first place:(

Silicon would be ok to a point depends on what standard of repair you want?

loki
12-04-2008, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't go for for araldite, too strong and if you want to change the trim it will damage the paint. costing more than a new trim in the first place:(

Silicon would be ok to a point depends on what standard of repair you want?

If it's a permanent adhesive you want I'd go for Araldite like has been suggested. I've used the metal bonder stuff on my car to fix a spoiler and it's never coming off.

buster
12-04-2008, 10:41 AM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=24323

was my original post with no replies. See there for pics.

It's got worse so i need to get it sorted. I want to get it right first time so can anyone recommend a good plastic to metal adhesive?

Araldite (the type bought in shops) is not the best product for plastics.

You are better off with a methacrylate, or better still use a high strength MS polymer. The MS comes in a cartridge and is easier to use as you do not need to mix it. Simply gun it in and put some pressure on the joint for an hour or so.

Do not use silicone on your car, as most types (Acetoxy grades) emit acetic acid during the cure and could in time cause it to rust. Also, even after full cure, if it gets wet it can still evolve a small amount of acid.

The MS will bond most plastics (Not polyolefins like Polypropylene) and most metals with a firm but elastic bond.

There is a High Strtength version of this in Black now - http://www.theglue.co.uk/html/tradeseal_mshg.html - Called Tradeseal MS/HS

jonbaker
12-04-2008, 09:06 PM
wow, you lot are well up on your adhesives :D

I've decided to go down the araldite route. B&Q have a few different versions. What one would you pick for this job (plastic on to metal)? They all seem to have virtualy the same qualities!?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=araldite&selected=products

The Fingers
14-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Hot melt glue gun will do a good job

you can get these from most B&Q

same as using silicon, however the plastic glue melts when heated and then sets rock solid when cooled, just watch your fingers when smoothing off the excess its very hot.

This will stick anything to anything

dansansome
14-04-2008, 11:03 AM
wow, you lot are well up on your adhesives :D

I've decided to go down the araldite route. B&Q have a few different versions. What one would you pick for this job (plastic on to metal)? They all seem to have virtualy the same qualities!?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=araldite&selected=products

imo go for one of the syringe types, that way you get the correct ratio of liquids.

they all seem ok, you want a fairly quick cure time, but long enough to enable you to position the thing before it sets. the super glue one says 90 seconds, which would probably be about right, but the others quote instant drying, which in my experience, araldite isnt instant.

hth.

jonbaker
23-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Got around to this last week. I used the araldite but it turned out to be a bit of a messy afair so i gave up after applying it to about a quarter of the trim.

I used a whole pack of blutac nearly for the rest and that's holding it down superb would you believe!?

The araldite section has held well but proved to much of a mission for my patience and glueing skills :biglaugh: