PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 blowing water

llama
11-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi guys.

I've got a MK2 Jetta 1.3 and it's blowing water out of the expansion tank after about 10 mins of medium revs.

The temperature sensors haven't turned the fan for the radiator on by the time this happens, but they do eventually, so it's not a temp problem. That's all been checked and replaced anyways.

New head, head gasket, head bolts, carb (auto-choke problems solved by this).

It seems the water overflowing is not that hot - it may be boiling someone else in the system and steam is bubbling through, or I believe that gas is escaping into the water system from the cylinders, but checked gaskets and surfaces etc and it's all flat and good!

There's no blockages in the pipes, the plumbing's all correct. There is nothing that I can see wrong with anything!

The problem started after the engine was cooked and the head was warped. It was skimmed and pressure tested and the problems still persisted - but the old, slightly bent head bolts were used. I got a new head and head bolts, and tried that, but still blowing water.

Has anyone got any suggestions or had the same problem?

oldbrit
30-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi Llama, have you tested the presure cap on the header tank and also remove the small hose that goes to the top of the tank, rev the engine and make sure water flows out, this hose is there to stop air locks in the engine and they do block.
Brian.

Crasher
30-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Presumably this has the spherical expansion bottle? Remove the expansion bottle cap and turn it over. Look at the "O" ring in the groove and it will have a bump in it or it may even be missing altogether. Replace the cap and it should cure the problem.