PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard gauges going nowhere

JimSharp39
11-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Afternoon all,

a question about my dashboard gauges please. The temperature gauge sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I'm fairly sure that this is the sender, and I have one to install tomorrow. However my fuel gauge has started to wander. Could they be related these faults? I guess I'll find out tomorrow - if the new sender affects the readings...but does anyone know beforehand?

The speedo, tacho, odo and the auxiliary gauges all work without fault.

Cheers!

1997 1.8 ADR cab

JimSharp39
12-04-2008, 02:46 PM
*update*

Installed new sender and no difference. Anyone any thoughts? Could it be what used to be a voltage stabiliser on old cars?
the battery is new too.

Cheers
Jim

1993 Coupe
02-05-2008, 08:15 AM
I have the same problem with mine.
Replaced temp sender but to no avail. Took th ecarto a friends garage and he said either the sender (which it wasnt or dry jointing on the back of the dials.

RE: Fuel gauge. Try starting the car and while running shake the back end for a while if teh fuel gauge works you have a faulty sender / float, my fuel gauge was very tempremental and now just doesnt work at all.

Any one know how easy it is to remove the float / sneder on a 1993 Coupe?

JimSharp39
02-05-2008, 09:23 AM
I have also replaced the voltage stabiliser and no change, although the fuel gauge is still a bit erratic, just does it more slowly. The temp gauge works one time in 4.
I think I'll just live with it - I think the sender only feeds the gauge not any of the engine management controls so I've decided just to put up with it. Its a ten year old car after all.

scotty33
02-05-2008, 10:54 PM
This post probably covers it best:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8426&highlight=temp
Temperature Sender - VWAUDI Forum