PDA

View Full Version : LT28 major running issues. HELP!

big_tom
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
hello.

i am the owner of a '97 LT28, 2.5l sdi engine with some big time running problems. It takes a long time of engine cranking to fire, it sounds like it's on the edge of firing for ages, then coughs into life with a massive cloud of white smoke out the back. The exhaust also smokes whilst cranking. When it runs it'll run fine for a while, but when in over run it will cut out when the throttle is depressed again, sometimes it will bump start with another load of whit-ish blue smoke, other times it wont bump and requires a toe start. Both me and the mechanic i use are stumped. The glow plugs are fine, but when checked it became apparent that the inlet manifold had been off and on a few times as the bolts were loose, stripped threads etc. this has now been remedied along with new inlet mani gasket. Fuel pump is new, although fitted before i bought the van. No water in the fuel filter.

Anyone have any ideas? i live in the sticks so can't easily get the van somewhere to get vagcom'd, and i really need the van for work.

Any help greatly appreciated.

sj3
16-07-2010, 07:41 PM
I know this reply may be late in the day but for the record it sounds like there was an inlet manifold air leak with this van. Hope this helps someone in the future.
Cheers,
3js

VAGMAN54
16-07-2010, 09:20 PM
that wouldnt make a vast difference on a diesel,a timing or pump issue would be the first thing to check

sj3
17-07-2010, 12:06 PM
My mistake VAGMAN54, Cheers.

Alan02
18-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Try and get it on a computer to be Dynamically Timed.