PDA

View Full Version : 2005 A6 Rear Brake Caliper Rattle

Steve Murray
10-04-2008, 09:57 PM
I have a 2005 A6 Quattro 3.2 (USA) which now has roughly 34,000 miles. I acquried it at 16,000 miles. My problem is that I have a annoying rattle in the rear suspension at low speeds (under 20mph) on rough pavement. This rattle ceases immediatly with even slight brake peddle pressure.

Upon removing a rear wheel I find that the brake caliper is attached to the axle mounting bracket using a pin which is firmly screwed into the caliper but floats in the mounting bracket, allowing the caliper to move in all directions (in / out / horizontal / vertical) slightly giving a metallic rattle.

Aside from the annoying rattle, it seems quite unusual to me that the caliper pin would float so freely. Most systems I have worked on had pins which screwed into the mounting bracket firmly and which only allowed the caliper to move in and out on the pin with no lateral movement.

Have any of you experienced a similar setup and rattle?

It makes a $550KUS car sound like a piece of junk.

mrmule
31-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Did you find a solution to this? Did you fix the rattle?

I have a 2005 A6 Quattro 3.2 (USA) which now has roughly 34,000 miles. I acquried it at 16,000 miles. My problem is that I have a annoying rattle in the rear suspension at low speeds (under 20mph) on rough pavement. This rattle ceases immediatly with even slight brake peddle pressure.

Upon removing a rear wheel I find that the brake caliper is attached to the axle mounting bracket using a pin which is firmly screwed into the caliper but floats in the mounting bracket, allowing the caliper to move in all directions (in / out / horizontal / vertical) slightly giving a metallic rattle.

Aside from the annoying rattle, it seems quite unusual to me that the caliper pin would float so freely. Most systems I have worked on had pins which screwed into the mounting bracket firmly and which only allowed the caliper to move in and out on the pin with no lateral movement.

Have any of you experienced a similar setup and rattle?

It makes a $550KUS car sound like a piece of junk.