PDA

View Full Version : Passat 2001 1.8T Wet Spark no. 2

fpluck
10-04-2008, 08:48 PM
How is going, I'm new to this forum please be gentle.
I have a passat 1.8T 2001. It starts up fine and as long as I am driving (not stalled in traffic everything is fine. ) If I am in traffic after about 3 to 4 mins the engine begins to misfire or if I stop and get out of the car for 5 mins the same thing happens. I checked the spark plugs and no. 2 is wet. The electrode part is wet. I am thinking is the head gasket gone? The car is not overheating. With this misfire will I destroy the cat. Also have you any tips on how to fix it with additives/mixture that I could at to cooling system to seal it.
I think the leak only appears when the engine gets hot and causes to head to bukle/warp causing a slight leak in at no. spark plug.
Have any of you ever seen or fixed this before or do I need to replace head gasket if it is that what is causing my pain:zx11:.
An info would be greatly apprciated.
I have already tried novastop radiator but only added it into expansion tank without removing the old coolant. the man in the motor shop said thats all you needed to do.

CAPACITOR
15-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Hello from another newbie,

is the wet plug actually water

If so then deffo head gasket or warped head or crack in head.
I would get this looked at A.S.A.P as it will damage CAT

Sorry for the bad news !

Hope you get it sorted out

fpluck
24-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Nice one for the reply Capacitor.
I think the level is a bit low in the coolant resevoir but not 100% sure as oil cooler was replaced a year ago and not sure what level he topped it up to. I did see a very little foam in coolant but again not sure if this is from ealier oil cooler leak. Haven't had a chance to look further in to it as too busy .Car is parked up at the moment. Will have to get my finger out. Am selling wifes car and trying to fix up a few things on her car first. Will let you know how I get one with the passat.

RickT
24-04-2008, 12:18 AM
if its water... not good news..

If its unburnt fuel.. more than likely the coil pack will be faulty (very common) and not sparking correctly..

Coil packs cost around £25 from VW/Audi dealer.

Rick

RickT
24-04-2008, 12:19 AM
ps..

I have moved your post over to our Passat section where other members will be able to help you out further.

Rick