PDA

View Full Version : Audi O2 sensor

sneaky
10-12-2006, 03:23 AM
I am a new user form the states. I too am a little miffed at Audi this due to an O2 sensor that went on the frits 2 days after I bought an A6 with 56000 miles on it on EBAY. Couldn't get the sensor out of the hole, dropped cat and pipes, still couldn't get it out. Heated it:aargh4: up and slowly backed it out with threads included now. And left half of old one still in the hole. EZ outed that out retapped hole. 2 hour job now 6. Bill shot from 2 to 6 hundred dollars. Now after market warranty company says it is a preehisting condition and they are stalling on paying. Talking to dealer now, but am not expecting a resolution. :aargh4:

adamss24
10-12-2006, 06:24 AM
Sorry to hear about your experience but thats why we do buy diesels in Europe- no need to worry about Lambda/O2 sensors and the fuel economy is great as well ! Hope you will get somme compensation from them ! Good luck.

JohnnyBee
07-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Not being funny here, Adam, but not all of us own, or even want diesels on our driveways.
Good on juice, granted, but that certainly isn't the only criterion by which a motor should be judged; indeed, diesels have their own unique set of problems that have long since been ironed out on petrol versions.
JB.

adamss24
07-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Not being funny here, Adam, but not all of us own, or even want diesels on our driveways.
Good on juice, granted, but that certainly isn't the only criterion by which a motor should be judged; indeed, diesels have their own unique set of problems that have long since been ironed out on petrol versions.
JB.
What are you saying, that modern diesel cars are not performant, reliable and economical compared with the petrol engines ? Take mine chipped a4, 2.5 tdi, v6, 6speed quattro, it puts little over 180 hp/and 380 torque and i see of the lights many sports cars and still returns 35-40 Mpg. Talking about reliability, mine has 185 K miles on the clock and still puls like i train ! Jason's Fabia(Devonsutopia) puts out over 220 Bhp from a 1.9L !?! There's no O2 sensors, HT leads, plugs or many special sensors on a diesel compared to petrols and the people are concerned about the fact that when they break its difficult to fix ! I would say, a diesel pump its good for over 150 K miles, injectors lasts about the same and the engine double that with minimal maintenance ! Remember that we are talking about engines designed with different goals in mind, one concentrating on performance and the other on economy. The dirty image of the 80's diesel engines has long gone, thanks to Mercedes-Benz and VW-Audi...

JohnnyBee
07-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks for coming back, Adam, and I'm sure you know that I'm not saying any of those things; in fact you put it very well when you say that they are made with different goals in mind.
My original comments were made in the light of over 40 years of garage experience with both diesel and petrol motors, beginning with 2400-litre V16 quad-turbo marine engines in my Navy days.
As regards the more modern units, common-rail and digital systems are built to half-micron tolerances, without which they either won't function at all or will perform very poorly.
In the past two years I have experienced several partial or total failures of UHP systems, caused in the main by poor fuel quality or inadequate filtration; in an ideal world this wouldn't be the case, but utopia has yet to be found.
The upshot in 90% of these cases has been a very expensive rebuild of the system - up to 30% of the residual value of the car - or in a few cases a totally new engine because of a localised overload, again caused by fuelling problems.
It all boils down to the fact that the higher you push internal pressures and temperatures, the closer you are to the ragged edge where something is going to break.
The difference is how much it's going to cost you when it does break!
JB.