PDA

View Full Version : Should I start Worrying?

Grandmaster80
10-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi Frds, This is my third week with my 2.0 SE 140 TDi 55 reg and so far i am very happy with this car. When I bought this car I did not do much research and did not read reviews from users like many on this forum and on Whatcar website etc.

Now, after reading users reviews I got panicked that I have made a bad choice. There seesms to be very serious fuel pumps issue. I am not under warranty because car is over 71K miles and the indi I bought is a dogy one and dont think so he will give me any additional warranty if my car broke down after one or two months.

I was under impression VW cars are very reliable and you dont have to worry for 150K miles etc. Since I dont do more than 10K per years I thought I am safe for few years till i upgrade to something else.

So, my question is what is the avg % of fuel pumps problem and how much it cost if my fuel pump starts working?

My car has done 71K miles , does that mean I am libale to a major break-down other than cam-belt? What else I should keep in mind or I can avoid by pre-caustionary measure. I am hopping to keep this car for two year atleast so want a full peace of mind.

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice!!

Crasher
10-04-2008, 04:21 PM
At that mileage and age I would not be surprised if it has already been done. Don't worry too much about it.

Trapper
10-04-2008, 05:24 PM
This might work.;)

Phone VW Customer Serivce and say you've just bought it and the dealer said the pump had been changed but as its for your wife you are just checking if the dealer was correct. Make sure you have the chassis number to hand.

If VW have replaced it they will have a record of when this was done.

Good luck.

Crasher
10-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Good idea.

John Robertson
10-04-2008, 05:46 PM
There is a fair chance that it has been changed mines was changed at 55,000
I phoned the VW dealer and it was all documented they charged VW £128.00 for the new pump.

I also had a recall for my gearbox oil to be changed last week.I spoke to a Aberdeen taxi driver on wednesday with the same car as me a 2006 1.9TDI S model he had done 30,000 I told him he better have a spare taxi meter to put in the loan car he was due to get very shortly,he sounded surprised when I told him that VW garages were full of broken down Passats all over the country.I told him about the oil change recall he said he had to take the car back to the ABERDEEN MAIN DEALER AT 12,000 due to problems
with engaging 1st and 2nd gear they told him right away that they knew what it was (the gearbox cogs were changed and iron filings drained from the box) so they know about the gearbox as well but have been very quite about it .

:beerchug:

Grandmaster80
10-04-2008, 09:07 PM
This might work.;)

Phone VW Customer Serivce and say you've just bought it and the dealer said the pump had been changed but as its for your wife you are just checking if the dealer was correct. Make sure you have the chassis number to hand.

If VW have replaced it they will have a record of when this was done.

Good luck.

Traper- what a great idea im sure VW CS will be trapped :) Thx mate.

I hope there will no other issues. I got full service done last week by Bouch Car centre in Manchester and the guy said this is nice car and there is no problem with this except I need to change cambelt soon. I think im too pessimistic!!

james_tiger_woo
11-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Hi - Re the warranty thing - the trader is supposed to give you a reasonable warranty of, I think, 3 months - I think this is dependant upon the car - if it was a £200 Fiesta, then this is not usually relevant - this link:

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0003-1011.txt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/x-ray/x_guides/cars/car1-1.shtml

Should offer some peace of mind.

Grandmaster80
11-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Following Trapper's advice I called VW CS today to check if there was previous fuel pump work done. They said check with Peter Cooper a local VW dealer, they might have record for this.

So I called the dealer, the guy on phone would't provide me any details of work done unless written permision by previous owner :( but he did tell me that there is no-recall for this car for any problem!!

I am confused now what does this no-recall mean. Meaning no fuel pump problem? Please advise. Cheers

james_tiger_woo
11-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Go in to the dealer and go to the service department - ask them if they can look into the details of any recalls/work done and they should.

If they cite the Data Protection act, then say that all you want to know is whether a safety recall has been completed on your car and that by not giving it to you they potentially are placing you at risk (not entirely true, but it might work).

You might not need to threaten this, but you might find that by going down there they'll tell you that it's been done (or not) without disclosing any further detail.

Incidentally, you're looking into information about the car and NOT the owner - this might be a case of the D.P. act being mis-applied.

A personal visit often works far better than a phone call.

Good luck.

Stuart W
11-04-2008, 04:03 PM
If they cite the Data Protection act, then say that all you want to know is whether a safety recall has been completed on your car and that by not giving it to you they potentially are placing you at risk (not entirely true, but it might work).

Problem is that there's been no recall on the fuel pump issue and that they've already told him that no recall work has been done on the car?

james_tiger_woo
11-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Problem is that there's been no recall on the fuel pump issue and that they've already told him that no recall work has been done on the car?

Ah - missed that....

I still think a visit to the dealer might give you some information....