PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Coolant Temperature Sender

YorkshireSimon
09-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm looking for some assistance in locating the water temperature sensor on an Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport, 2005 model.

I have the engine cover off at the moment and looking from the front of the car, on the right side of the engine I can see what looks like the water pump at the top right side of the engine. From that pipes run to the rad, some run across the top of the engine to a cylindrical object with 4 pipes coming out of the top.

The sensor if I'm correct is just to the front of what I believe is the water pump.

I have scanned this site and others but I'm struggling to find this year/model of car.

Many Thanks
Simon

Lofty79
09-04-2008, 05:29 PM
its where the arrow points if this is your engine
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/529/5578G62_picture.gif
or number 6 here
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/5578cooling_system_picture.gif

YorkshireSimon
09-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Okay, learning as I go here...

The sensor looks like the water temp sensor, but it is not. I took that one off and I can see / smell diesel. Deduced that the lines across the top of the engine are the feed lines to the pump. Certainly not water coolant...

Anyway that's put back together now and I'm following some destructions on how to do this on a 1.9 TDi engine. I have no idea how different the 1.9 and 2.0 TDi are, but I guess I'll soon find out.

So, removing the air box and large pipe with the MAF sensor in it to get a clear look at the engine around that side...

Again, if anyone does know this and can confirm that would be great.

Oh, and sorry about the double post....

Thanks
Simon

YorkshireSimon
09-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Lofty79

Cheers for that.

Funnily enough, I have seen both these pictures whilst looking at various sites. I haven't take the air box and pipe out yet, it's getting a little dark here and am going to defer until tomorrow. Looking at it though, it doesn't look the same with a torch. The 3 feeds coming off the top on that picture are not visible to me on the car. Unless I'm going blind that is. Also, the exploded view, the cam cover is different, the oil opening is more central/to the right on my car, almost directly in front of what looks like the big breather opening.

Cheers for the pictures though, just hope you have some alternative that might be mine.

Cheers
Simon