PDA

View Full Version : Timing marks on sprockets

wacker
08-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi all - this is my first post!

Question - My friends 1.8 GTI head gasket blew so i'm giving him a hand getting it sorted. As we have the head off we are going to change the cam belt as well, but i cant find the dot stamped on the intermediate shaft to align everything up! How would i go about it - the only mark is a round dot painted on the wheel no where near the teeth. :confused:

Crasher
08-04-2008, 10:32 PM
The dot is on one of the teeth. It is very subtle and the paint mark is probably disguising it.

wacker
08-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Will take a look tomorrow - the paint mark is on the face of the wheel by the holes and not on the teeth edge. did they ever make them without a dimple mark on the edge of the tooth, cos i cant remember seeing one on them? if not do i just align the distributer with no 1 mark on the body that everybody talks about? Can't look untill tomorrow.

Crasher
09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
There has to be a dot on a tooth and a line on the reverse in between two teeth, I have never seen one without. The line in the dizzy isn't accurate enough.

wacker
09-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Took a look today and no dot mark on the teeth. Didn't look for a mark on the back though - guess that will have to wait untill tomorrow. I dont understand how it would work the dizzy as this is driven by the camshaft/sprocket:confused:

Forgive me for sounding a bit dumb, but what does the intermediate sprocket/shaft do in a 1.8 GTI 16V?

Crasher
09-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Sorry, are you now saying this is a 16v?

v.m.s.
09-04-2008, 11:08 PM
if its a 16v the dizzy is driven off the back of the camshaft i think, if you take care and get it at tdc and make your own marks on everthing you should be ok

Crasher
09-04-2008, 11:17 PM
If it is a 16v, the intermediate shaft just drives the oil pump. All you have to do is set the crank at zero on the flywheel, double check it on the front pulley after re-fitting the lower cover and set the cam at zero. The reason I say to double check it is that it is not unknown for people to install the flywheel incorrectly and so if you set it at zero on a flywheel that is not aligned correctly, it will hit. Even then, the front pulley outer ring occasionally slips around the inner on the rubber damper so I never trust one or the other. Also the crank pulley bolt can come undone and cause the front pulley to be off that way.

wacker
09-04-2008, 11:25 PM
AHHHH - Yes indeed guys it is a vw golf mk2 1.8 16v gti. That would explain why there are no marks on the int shaft!
If it only drives the oil pump then as long as the other marks line up it should be ok.

88vdubfraze
07-05-2008, 11:25 PM
hey guys im new to this site and i have a 8 valve 1.8 and i am trying to time mine...i got the crank at top dead and cam setting at the front of the valve cover right were the gasket is...i just need to know if thats right and were the intermediate shaft sets at...cause i got a paint mark on the intermediate shaft and its lined up with the crank mark but it still wont start i tried push starting it and its blonwing oil back up into the intake...what am i doing wrong or what is wrong...thanx...

Crasher
08-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Don’t you own a copy of the Haynes Golf 2 manual, number 1081? It is shown in there very clearly.