PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 smoking and unusual idiling

Yorkshireman
08-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi guys, hope you can help.

I've got an Audi A4 TDI 2003 (B6) with 82k. The problem is that it smokes (black) when driving under light accelaration. When you give it sum, it fills the whole road behind with black smoke. Either way you drive it, it smokes. I 've had many diesels but this one smokes like it shouldn't? Any sugggestions?

Engine management light is also on. Got it on the machine and it states coolant sensor. Changed the coolant sensor but engine management light still on. Will management light need re-setting?

Finally, i've noticed in that when i start the car sometimes, it idles high at standstill. Eventually goes back to normal after a few minutes but its never does this before. Does it when the car is warm too so can't be the choke. Any suggestions?

YOur help would be greatly appreacited. Spent a load of money on the car and it want to get to get it right.

Thanks in advance

a8 tech
08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
check your inter cooler and pipes for splits(black smoke lack of air)alsocheck the o rings on the intercooler pipes for missing/broken bits

Yorkshireman
09-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi. thanks for the reply.

Check all pipes and all seems fine. Can it be anything to do with MAFF (Air Mass Meter?

Any views on the idiling problem?

Thanks guys:biglaugh:

a8 tech
09-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Sounds like restriction to air flow or blocked egr for both concerns.Try disconnecting the air mass but i dont think it will be the airmass