PDA

View Full Version : My 90cs Radio

wmwaharner
09-12-2006, 03:08 AM
Can anyone calculate the code for my Audi Gamma serial #AUZ1Z6P9647976
model #7 640 859 380
I just bought the car at auction and I fell in love with it so I fixed the transmission.
Can anyone help me with this problem?
Please!!!!

gazza57
09-12-2006, 08:44 AM
You can take the set to a local car hifi shop who will determine the code for you for £20.
When the car was new the radio had a booklet with a code card inside the back page which should be taken out of the booklet if its left in the car.
Check to see if the code card has been detached, it if hasn't then you're OK, if it has the blurb in the book says you can get the code free of charge from your local VW dealer.
Suffice to say when I tried that at my local VW dealer he nearly had a heart attack when I mentioned to him that he should do something for free.
After composing himself from the shock he stated "Oh no Sir, we don't offer that service anymore, it takes too long, it's now 30min labour £49.50+VAT" So the car hifi shop seems your best bet although I would try your dealership first, you might be lucky!

wmwaharner
09-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes sir , that was my next move, to check the dealer first then a car audio dealer.
The car is a 1993 Audi 90cs and I have no book for it , and the problem is this, as I said, I bought the vehicle at auction for $2000.00 US being told it was a good car , I find out too late that the transmission was bad, but I love the car so I had it fixed for just above $4000.00 US.
So as you could imagine I am trying not to spend any more money on this vehicle.
I still am finding it hard to believe that the man stole my money like that at the auction, I am a Freemason and would never think to do these kind of things.
Again, Thank You for your Gracious Time.
Bill

brd
11-12-2006, 03:56 PM
You would spend the same amount on buying a new/used recent radio, even with CD and MP3 that slots straight in... a garage could give a hand popping out the old radio as it just takes the 2secs with the correct tools.

Better sounds and up to date formats...

wmwaharner
11-12-2006, 10:33 PM
You would spend the same amount on buying a new/used recent radio, even with CD and MP3 that slots straight in... a garage could give a hand popping out the old radio as it just takes the 2secs with the correct tools.

Better sounds and up to date formats...
You must be reading my mind,I got hold of the original dealer who sold the car and had been taking care of the maintenance on it .
They gave me a code of 0022-----0022 doesn't work , turns out the radio was serviced in 1995 ,I guess the code was changed.
I've had the radio out of the dash a million times' I used to install radios and car alarms for a living , It's just that all I want to replace is the unit , so I have to find one that is compatible with the speakers and amps that are in there...
Should get interesting hope not expensive I have ALOT in this car already,
some would say too much, especially my wife and kids...
I got some good advice from this site .
Thanks for the response...
Bill

gazza57
12-12-2006, 07:57 AM
BRD is in fact quite correct in that there are more up to date formats but I would be surprised if you would get anything decent for £20 even on e bay.
I had naturally assumed that as you had spent quite a bit more than you originally planned due to gearbox problems that a simple cheap alternative such as getting your existing radio recoded was the cheapest option.
Obviously, if you want to spend more there are much better sets on the market than the Gamma.
If your vehicle is fitted with the pair of sockets, one of which looks after the power and the other the speakers, you can buy a corresponding set of plugs to mate exactly with the set you plan to fit, but they are about £15 and therefore 75% of your £20 budget is gone before you've bought the new radio.
In your shoes, I would recode the radio and if you hate it, wait until you've some spare cash and buy something half decent, £50 will secure something from e bay.
Regards
Gazza57

pcar964
12-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Can anyone calculate the code for my Audi Gamma serial #AUZ1Z6P9647976
model #7 640 859 380
I just bought the car at auction and I fell in love with it so I fixed the transmission.
Can anyone help me with this problem?
Please!!!!

When the code has been changed from the original, you need to have it recoded. I use a chap in Scotland, I remove the chip with the serial, post to him and he recodes to the original code or any number you want. Code chip is usualy an 8 pin DIL.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, this is the cheapest fix, £10 to £15. If interested, I will ask him which chip he needs from your radio.

Don't forget, after market radio will not usually power the amplifier in the aerial.