PDA

View Full Version : Help with Activating Cruise with Vag-Com

Spacey885
08-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi guys, hope you can help, I'm a bit of a newbie with Vag-Com.....

I'm tring to activate Cruise control on my 03 VW passat TDI.
I have a USB cable and VAG-COM 409.1 which seems to be working ok.

The Ross-Tech website says to do the following :

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Login - 11]
Enter 11463 to activate cruise control
[Do It!]

When I click on the "Login-11" button a new window comes up asking for a login code. Now do I enter 11463 in this screen or do I need a special login code to continue?

Hope someone can help!

adamss24
08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Input the login code and be done with it ! That code works for looong time, nearly 10 years.

mattdobinson
28-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi

I was wondering if you could help me,

I've retrofitted cruise control to my car,

I've tried to activate it using vag-com but it hasn't worked,

I've gone onto the engine controller
clicked on login 11
ebtered 11463
do it

but nothing seems to happen,

I've also gone onto the meas block section 8 and looked at chennel 6,

I can see when i switch the cruise control on the binary number changes, it also changes when i press the set and resume button, pressing the brake pedal and clutch also changes it. I'm guessing this means that everything is connected correctly and its all talking to the ecu, however when i drive my car and switch cruise on and press set/resume, nothing happens,

Very annoying,

If anyone could help, i would be very grateful,

Thanks

elPaulio
28-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi there,

Are you trying to set it at too slow a speed? You need to be doing more than 30kph if I remember correctly.
I would check in the measuring blocks of 01-Engine for the brake pedal to ensure that both bits are changing as if one isn't it may not work.
The usual suspects are clutch switch, brake switch or lack of coding. As it seems you have coded it and are seeing the switches working, I would investigate the pedal switches further.

Out of curiosity, is your SCSM cruise control capable? I guess it must be if you are seeing the switch change. Just babbling out my thoughts here.

you could try de-activating cruise and seeing if you get any changes when in Measuring blocks 8/6.

Paul :biglaugh:

mattdobinson
28-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi

Thanks for the quick response,

I don't the speed was an issue - i was trying to engage at 50, 60 70 MPH.

Both bits are changing for the brake and clutch in the engine controller - measure block no 6

I've tried going into the steering controller, however i keep getting to response from the controller,

I've tried de-activating cruise - but i haven't checked the measuring block in the engine controller when it is de-activated,

Worth a go to see if if my vag com is actually activating/deactivating cruise.

Just a note - my cars a golf mk4 S - 1.9 tdi,

The engine code is an ASV,

Mentioning the details above, would there be a chance that the ecu can't cope with cruise control?

Thanks

elPaulio
28-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Hi there,

it is possible, I only really know for the A4 but I know that if you have an SCSM that isn't cruise compatible it just doesn't do anything when you try to program it.
Its a bit bizarre that you cannot access the SCSM, wonder if they Golf does it differently!?!?!

paul b
28-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Again, I'm not sure on Golfs, but on the A6s there are 2 different dashboards, a 'Highline' one and what I assume must be a... 'Lowline' one ??? ;)

I wonder if there is something like that in Golfs, because I was told not to bother with the whole cruise thing after finding I have the wrong dash.

Paul

mattdobinson
28-08-2008, 03:58 PM
When i try to enter the steering controller it says no response from controller.
what would you do if i managed to enter this controller?
I don't think this means anything, but when i switch cruise control on, a light comes on on the dash,
Does that mean cruise control has been activated,
I've read other posts, in the component field i've get several G's.
There isn't one at the very end - not sure if that says anything about cruise control being active.
Thanks

elPaulio
28-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Ah, you could be on to something there Paul,

Matt, do you have the highline dash? Ie is your screen split in two or is it one big LCD display?
If you only have the lowline (Split in two) then you won't have the on board computer and this I think decides whether you can have cruise or not!
Also, on the Mk4 I remember reading that you needed extra wiring to connect up cruise on some models.

mattdobinson
28-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi

The screen is like 1 inch square,

Above the screen is a load of warning lights,

I guess this means its the lowline,

However, it has an onboard computer telling me trip distance, fuel economy ect.

Matt

mattdobinson
28-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Looking on the net -
The low dash - supports nothing,
The mid dash - supports trip computer and cruise control
The High dash - supports loads of other features,

I'm assuming/hoping i have the mid dash as i have a trip computer.

paul b
28-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Ah, you could be on to something there Paul,

Matt, do you have the highline dash? Ie is your screen split in two or is it one big LCD display?
If you only have the lowline (Split in two) then you won't have the on board computer and this I think decides whether you can have cruise or not!
Also, on the Mk4 I remember reading that you needed extra wiring to connect up cruise on some models.

Mine is split in 2... :(

Paul

mattdobinson
28-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I see

Do you have a trip computer?

paul b
28-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Just the standard trip etc with the buttons by the speedo, no extra button on the wiper stalk for the full computer system.

Paul

mattdobinson
28-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I've got buttons on the windsceen wiper stalk to control the computer.

Does that mean i have the mid dash?

It's a real pain because i've installed everything.

If i de-activate the cruise, would that stop the readings coming through on vag-com?

Is there anmore codes i can try plugging into vag com?

Matt

mattdobinson
28-08-2008, 06:49 PM
ok,

Just used vagcom on my car,

I've found out that the cruise control is already enabled, (there is a G000SG in component field).

Any ideas?

paul b
28-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Well... I think we can rule out the Lowline dash... Mine has nothing on the end of the stalk and its not worth retro fitting I hear.

Sorry I've not much experience of the Golfs...

Paul

mattdobinson
29-08-2008, 12:19 AM
ok, thanks for your help,

When i travel at low revs in 2nd gear, the car judders,

I got the speed sensor replaced, but the juddering hasn't stopped,

If the speed sensor appears to be still faulty i guess that would knock the cruise control,

Does anybody know how to check this on vag com?

Thanks

Matt

Neilk
29-09-2008, 02:22 AM
my wife bought a 04 A4 a year ago, it has the cruise lever installed so I assume it came with it, but it doesn't work I don't have a good manual for this car I know I need to get one since I have had to work on this car more then any Ford I ever owned. Lets see I have replaced a window regulator almost all the vacuum hoses and the secondary air fan to name a few so I am pretty frustated with this car. I have OBD2 readers and Moates Ostrich chip emulator stuff for Fords the reader will work on the Audi which is good, I probably need a tuner for the Audi to turn on the cruise? If so which one would you recomend? thanks for listening,,,,Neil

elPaulio
29-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Hi Neil,

If the Cruise control stalk is already there then it'll be turned on!

The likely culprit is either the brake pedal or clutch pedal switch loacted above each pedal.
Brake on e is easy to check, do all of your brake lights come on?
If so then move onto the clutch switch, all you need is a multimeter and check over the pins when you depress the clutch to see if it switches. Or, as they are relatively cheap, you could just buy a new one and chuck it in!!

Hope that helps

Neilk
29-09-2008, 02:36 PM
yrs the brake lights work, the reason I suspect it is not activated is it was a rental car and they usually turn off all the extras on a car....Neil

elPaulio
30-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Hi Neil,

Every rental car I've ever had still had cruise working!!
I'd bet it is the clutch switch, as it is used every time you change gear it gets worn out fairly quickly!!

Neilk
30-09-2008, 02:37 PM
this is an automatic car, the brake lights work, should I change the switch anyway?

elPaulio
01-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi neil,

Hmmm... that's stumped me a bit. I know the brake light switch is a dual circuit switch but if all your light are coming on then the switch shouldn't be at fault.

Maybe it is switched off!!!

ecmbuster
05-10-2008, 01:05 AM
What you're saying is that you "added" cruise to a car that was never equipped with cruise. Is this correct?

Yes the ECM is programmable to handle cruise. Check with the dealer because the wiring and instrument cluster is slightly different but can be adjusted to fit your model.

The ECM must "see" the instrument cluster speed data before it can "lock" in cruise. Posting the autoscan of the car would help because the information like: Controller numbers and coding would help guide you and solve your issue.
Look at the engine and instrument cluster controllers to determine correct coding and versions.

ranz2
22-01-2011, 03:40 PM
What you're saying is that you "added" cruise to a car that was never equipped with cruise. Is this correct?

Yes the ECM is programmable to handle cruise. Check with the dealer because the wiring and instrument cluster is slightly different but can be adjusted to fit your model.

The ECM must "see" the instrument cluster speed data before it can "lock" in cruise. Posting the autoscan of the car would help because the information like: Controller numbers and coding would help guide you and solve your issue.
Look at the engine and instrument cluster controllers to determine correct coding and versions.
It's an old topic, but no point making new one.
I have same problem, cruise does not lock speed, I installed it myself and with just two buttons. It has power from ingnition and one button should lock speed and other resume

http://ranz.planet.ee/cruiis.jpg

First: Cruiise activated
Second: Cluch
Third: Brake
Fourth: speed activation/speed down
Fifth: resume/speed up

Also I activated cruis from ECU (code 11463).

Did also scan from ECU to get faults: http://ranz.planet.ee/scan.pdf

Could the convience system data bus in emergency mode make the problem? or what could make that problem???