PDA

View Full Version : DAB Radio

Audi Nick
08-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Has anyone else ordered (or indeed got) the DAB radion option and if so, it is effective?

alexcf
08-04-2008, 10:39 AM
I've ordered it, but haven't had a date yet :(:(

mistryman
08-04-2008, 04:28 PM
did you have to order the Sat Nav plus option to order the DAB option??

Audi Nick
08-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Yes, for some reason Audi always link extra's so for a £300 radio, you have to buy a £2000 Sat Nav:confused:

I have the Sat Nav at the moment and even though it lacks some of the features of Tom Tom it is a better unit and given the miles I drive, a reasonable purchase.

I just love DAB radio I just hope it works in a car.

browellm
08-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Yes, for some reason Audi always link extra's so for a £300 radio, you have to buy a £2000 Sat Nav:confused:

Are you 100% sure on that, I didn't believe satnav was a pre-req.

Audi Nick
08-04-2008, 05:01 PM
It says in the great silver book of words "DAB digital radio. Only in combination with Satellite Navigation system Plus".

:biglaugh:

moptisam2
08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
I ordered my A4 yesterday, with the DAB, but no satnav, so I'll wait to be told if I can have it or not.

mistryman
08-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Please let me know if you do get DAB without SAT NAV, If so I'm not going to be pleased with audi, like everyone else I can justify payin £2k just to have the pleasure of select the DAB option.

moptisam2
09-04-2008, 12:14 PM
If I am told that I have to have satnav I will be rather displeased and will express this to Audi Customer Service. Audi has either been clever or stupid in linking extras we would like, to things we don't want or need. I would like to have the auto reset of the wing mirror (for about £145), but to get it I would have to buy electric seats. As I am the only one who is going to drive the car, I don't want or need electric seats.

Vinnyg
09-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Mopti - what do you mean by auto-reset of the wing mirror?

The linking of quite a lot of options to the sat-nav does seem unnecessary. Things such as AMI and DAB can surely work with the MMI fitted as standard to the SE. I wanted AMI and did consider sat-nav just for that but £2000 to play my iPod takes the p!ss.

moptisam2
10-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Sorry Vinnyg, I got things a bit mixed up.

When the configurator was working (2 weeks ago) I remember an option related to the wing mirror where, if you had moved it from your driving position, you could push a button and it would go back to that driving position (I think it was called the memory function) and a price of £145 is going round my head. However, it has been incorporated into the Comfort Pack, incl. elec seats at £ 1400 (p. 33 of PDF 0008).

Sorry if I confused you. It's a shame the competition (in my opinion except the new Mercedes C class) is so crap, or Audi would have to get their fingers out.
I've just checked. The configurator is STILL not working after about 2 weeks.

moptisam2
22-06-2008, 06:57 PM
I picked up the new A4 yesterday and can confirm that, as ordered, Audi has supplied the DAB radio even though I do not have Sat Nav.

tomtom20
22-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Just a note to say the online config has never worked for me. It gets to choosing seating then says an error has happened and to select or de-select options. Thing is, you can't and can't get back without going back to the homepage and trying all over again. I have to say the Audi.co.uk site sucks compares to the competion's sites. But, going to Audi.com you get all the bells n whistles with classy video and demo's on things like the B&O sound system.

lamptramp
30-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi,

I've had my A4 SE for about two months now. The DAB radio is fantastic. I can drive from one side or the country to the other listening to the same station without re-tuning.

Well worth the extra money.

Tim

jcb
30-06-2008, 09:47 PM
isnt that the point of the auto retune facility on RDS FM radios ?

lamptramp
30-06-2008, 10:12 PM
It's never worked for me until now.

WhiteHartMart
30-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Whats the sound quality like for you guys with the DAB - its an option I haven't considered tbh, but if it sounds a lot better than standard then I might consider it ;)

lamptramp
30-06-2008, 10:31 PM
If I'm honest, by the time you add road noise I don't think you will notice the difference. The choice of stations is huge though.

Sometimes the sound "pixelates" like a digital tv signal but the radio mutes the sound until the signal is back. Normally take only a couple of seconds.

WhiteHartMart
01-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Thanks fo that mate - tbh I think I'll leave it - not really after anymore stations, just wanted to obtain better sound quality without lots of expense :D

tomtom20
01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
isnt that the point of the auto retune facility on RDS FM radios ?

Not the same as DAB radio's JCB: With DAB you can be in London and listen to say Captial Radio, then drive to Wales and still listen to it. With RDS FM radio it would loose signal about 50 miles out of London, then re-tune to another 'local' station in yor area. The likes of Radio 2 are national stations, so have repeaters over the county meaning within a small tuning range you will be able to pick it up in London, or Scotland.

Also with DAB you get a huge choice of stations. I have not got a DAB radio, be that in the car, at home or a portable. I'll wait until I need to when they turn off the FM signal in a few years and pump up the power from transmitters and will have no digital drop out issues.

digigriffin
01-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Well I am not a happy bunny if you could have had the dab without sat nav. :mad:

I opted for the symphony radio upgrade as I was not prepared to pay for the sat nav.

However I would have paid for the dab on its own rather than the symphony upgrade.

AndyH123
07-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Can DAB be retro-fitted?

Just got back from the US where I had a XM Satellite radio in the hire car. I got quite addicted to the song / artist info - and I assume the Audi DAB has that (our kitched DAB does, usually)?

bealem
09-07-2008, 07:32 PM
I have the DAB option together with the sat nav. The DAB option works well and the sound quality is much better than standard fm plus the added bonus of more channels