PDA

View Full Version : CLUTCH BITING POINT TOO HIGH

shabs
08-12-2006, 06:04 PM
hi im new to this forum and was wondering if any of you guys out there can help me with the problem ive got.

ive just bought an audi a4 2.0 petrol, its got 134k on the clock. the problem i have is that the clutch biting point is too high up. i took it to a clutch centre who said that its normal for audi's.

im not sure and it just doesnt feel right. anyone know and garages / prices for a new clutch. its not slipping and the gears engage fine.

let me know, if you know any garages around east london area

cheers!:beerchug:

The year of car is 2001. y reg

shabs
08-12-2006, 06:23 PM
thanks guys

MalcQV
09-12-2006, 08:06 PM
My 2.0 Passat is the same. Just got used to it.

AudiSport
21-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Hey Shabs,

I've just bought a 2001 (Y) A4 2.0L Sport with 72k and my clutch pedal is the same. It makes for jurkey gear changes having the bitting point right at the top!

I also find my engine noise is quite loud, you?

Love the colour coded bumper and side kit on yours, is it just extended strips for the doors, or is the kit the whole running length of the side?

Sorry - like you very new to all this!

Love the car though, and supprisly quick! I was expecting a very sluggish drive coming from my GTi Turbo!

AudiSport
21-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Just checked out the pic of your car from the front.... Like it! Is the bottom front bumper section just colour coded - or is it a new part?

RickT
23-12-2006, 12:57 AM
on the 2.0 the biting point is high.. it takes some time to get used to... i thought i had a problem when i got the car and it was so high... however 60k later its still in the same place!!

if you jump in a Diesel A4 B6 its really low... however the clutch in the diesels is different anyway to take the addtional torque and weight.

Cheers

RickT

Anzee
12-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey i moved from a Golf to a Audi A4... I felt the same issue i was running around like a headless chicken trying to see if it was the norm...

All i can say is go and Test drive another A4 of the same spec to get a feel but dont worry there like that you'll get used to it...

RickT
13-01-2007, 02:14 AM
as said above.. its normal... you get used to it!

RicKT

richjthorpe
05-02-2007, 06:08 PM
on the 2.0 the biting point is high.. it takes some time to get used to... i thought i had a problem when i got the car and it was so high... however 60k later its still in the same place!!

if you jump in a Diesel A4 B6 its really low... however the clutch in the diesels is different anyway to take the addtional torque and weight.

Cheers

RickT

Is it the same for all B6's or just the 2.0 ? I've got a 1.8T with a high clutch and noisey release bearings. Wondered if it was time for a clutch assembly change.

Richie.

AudiSport
17-04-2007, 10:12 PM
The 'heigh biting point' on my car really is starting to frustraight me.. Does anyone know why some A4's are like this..

I got 'Car Back' taxi service the other night and spent most of the jurney explaining the nasty clutch was normal on these A4's!!!!

Hmmmmmm! :zx11:

shahabudeen
18-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Just had a new clutch fitted 300 miles ago from audi, biting point is slighlty lower than before but no difference in power. cost me £400. dont think it was worth it, coz gradually i think the biting point is going to end up as before

Desdesigner
18-04-2007, 05:07 PM
I have the same issue. Reccently bought a 2002 A4 1.8T and it was incredably difficult swapping driving styles from an '05 MG ZR 120 Trophy SE to this. The clutch biting point on the MG is so low down, kept over revving the audi till i got used to it.

I was also concerned as to whether the clutch was on the way out but it doesnt slip which is good enough for me!

I think its normal for the B6 though. Not to bad to change gear tho, easier than my ZR i think. Just depends how you drive. Ive got sports seats and sit quite low in the car so its nice not having to push the clutch in far.

-Desdesigner

AudiSport
18-04-2007, 08:22 PM
I can change gear by only push the clutch pedal down by approx 10mm!

I seem to spend my whole drive concentrating on letting the last bit of the clutch out very s------l-------o--------w-------l--------y when changing gear so as not to give myself whiplash!

RUBBISH!

MrJoshua
21-04-2007, 07:29 AM
I thought my high biting point was a problem, so I've had the clutch replaced.

Luckilly , when they took the old one out they said "it's almost down to the rivets", so I'm glad I did it as I wouldn't have wanted it to totally wear out while I was driving it.