PDA

View Full Version : Longlife or variable service???

goblin247
08-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Hi,

I purchased a A4 Tdi (100) a few months back, it was serviced at the the sellers garage (not much faith in that). It was previously serviced under the longlife regime. I was going to service the car myself in the next few weeks (have done about 3k since purchase). No idea what oil the garage used but unlikley to be longlife. Will it be ok to service and go back to longlife oil now? I probably do around 10k per year. (I have a vagcom, but not registered so can only scan.) The car has done 93k and has had 4 dealer stamps under the longlife. Still getting 6k left for the next service but wanted to keep on top of it so that I knew that the car was OK.
Any suggestions would be appreciatted.

Marco34
08-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Longlife or variable, they are the same, you mean fixed ;)

Well anyone will know my thoughts and that's fixed. IMO variable isn't that good. It's a great selling point by manufacturers; service costs will be low etc. My opinion is why the hell spend 1000s on a car and not give it fresh oil regularly. Any of the mechanical gurus on here will in most cases use fixed.

Marco

goblin247
08-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks for that. Yes in the past I have tended to over sevice my cars, but as I have taken on this car with 90k already on the clock i thought i might keep to the long service intervals. Can i change to fixed using vag com?

paul b
08-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks for that. Yes in the past I have tended to over sevice my cars, but as I have taken on this car with 90k already on the clock i thought i might keep to the long service intervals. Can i change to fixed using vag com?
Yes, but don't ask me how. ;)

Paul

Marco34
09-04-2008, 09:25 AM
As the car has 90k on the clock I personnaly would go to fixed. That way you inspect under the bonnet more frequently.

You can change to fixed by simply resetting the service indicator on the dash. It will default to fixed. I did that when i got my car from my mate. He had longlife... I drained the oil and changed the filter and the filter was knackered. Put me off longlife for good. You only need vagcom for variable.

I adjusted the drain intervals to 6 months on my service indicator.

Marco

goblin247
09-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks for that Marco. Just trying to order the parts on line. Seeing as it only going to cost about 50 all in, doesnt seem worth leaving for more than a year between services. Hopefully if I keep all my receipts it wont affect the residuals too much.:beerchug: