PDA

View Full Version : gt tdi 115 brakes juddering really badly

akiff
07-04-2008, 09:07 PM
hi, just bought a golf of my cousin and brakes are juddering really badly, he said its prob brake discs, is that right?

Kris214
08-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Sounds about right. Best changing the discs and pads. Also test the rear ones by driving down the road and gently pulling the handbrake upwards until you feel the car slowing down. If there is juddering/shaking then change the rear discs etc as well. If not the the rear ones are fine. I had to change the front discs and pads on golf there not even a week ago due to same sympton as you describe.

akiff
09-04-2008, 12:45 AM
showed a mechanic today, he put it up on the ramp and when he shook the wheels there was a lot of play in it, he then told me it need a new steering rack, so had that done, oil and filter change and then also found that a spring was broken which i also had replaced, done all this and then when i drove it as well as still juddering it now also makes a constant grinding type of noise.:mad::aargh4:

Looks like anpother trip to the mechanic,

dirtyderv
09-04-2008, 05:16 PM
Wheel bearings possibly?

Lofty79
09-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Discs and pads are a likely candidate mate

dirtyderv
09-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Discs and pads are a likely candidate mate

Would the grinding noise come from pads worn to metal rubbing on the discs then?

Has the play in the wheels gone now AKiff? ( This is why i thought possibly bearings, ive seen wheels that you can shake cause bearings are shot)

akiff
09-04-2008, 10:41 PM
had discs and pads done today, now its all sorted, wot a relief, at least its safe now

Lofty79
09-04-2008, 11:09 PM
Good man thought it would be, and its always a good improvement to the drive of the car aswell when the brakes are fresh new.

And dirtyderv yes that would cause the grinding noise as weve just found out:D

Crasher
09-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Usually warped discs are down to warped wheel hubs on the Golf 4. Whenever we get a Golf 4 platform car with warped discs, we always check the hub for run out with a dial gauge. I have had huge numbers of Golf 4 platform cars come in that are on their third of fourth set of discs and still warping them after a few months.