PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Warning Light

audia3_1
07-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi I have a 1999 V reg 1.6 A3, and when I turn my engine on an unknown warning light comes on, and makes an alarm sound, just like when the petrol is low, and it stays on for the whole time my car is running. It lookes like this (O), with nothing in the middle, like the symbol for the hand break, but with no P. Ive looked in my handbook, and the only symbol it resembles is the break fluid, but I've checked that and its fine, also the previous owner said it was to do with it needing new brake pads, but I've just had new brake pads put on it and it still comes up. Can anyone help, or does anyone know what it means please?!!

mluton
07-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Brake pads need replacing, the alert shows the sign when the pads have worn on the front.

Most pads have sensors. I have pads without sensors, so I have tricked thae car into thinking they are connected by using and old sensor cut off connecting the wires. i just have to check myself now.

mojos3
07-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Hello, If the symbol looks like this (0) but with the brackets with bits missing then it is in fact your brakes. I had this problem before and i brought in to Brady's of castleknock and they performed a check of the car an audi(s3) and came to the concusion that it was just an electrical problem and they plugged it in and switched it off. i hope this is of some use to you.

mluton
07-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Hello, If the symbol looks like this (0) but with the brackets with bits missing then it is in fact your brakes. I had this problem before and i brought in to Brady's of castleknock and they performed a check of the car an audi(s3) and came to the concusion that it was just an electrical problem and they plugged it in and switched it off. i hope this is of some use to you.

Good point, if you have brake pads without sensors you can turn the warning light off with a VAG COM.

audia3_1
07-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks for replying, yes its like (o) with gaps in, hopefully I can get it sorted now, thanks for your help.

thegoal007
28-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I think that break warning light is having a laugh.
The sensors are part of the brake pads (well they are on my s3) and if you have a look at a new set of brake pads, the senosrs look as though they are about half - 3/4 quaraters of the way through the pads.

So if you have done 10K miles on them, in theory you have another 2.5K to 5K miles left on them before they start hitting the metal !
If you've done 20K miles on them - double your figures.

BTW, I am talking about the front brake pads !