PDA

View Full Version : iPod slot + MMI

Tom_kkfis
06-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I have a question for new A4 (B8) owners. If you connect a music player (e.g. ipod) in the slot, is it operated via the MMI (the 6.5'' display) or do you have to use the player's controls? Or can you use both?
I would much prefer to use the car's system (the big screen would make things easier).
Thank you.

AUDI-NUT
06-04-2008, 03:31 PM
I have a question for new A4 (B8) owners. If you connect a music player (e.g. ipod) in the slot, is it operated via the MMI (the 6.5'' display) or do you have to use the player's controls? Or can you use both?
I would much prefer to use the car's system (the big screen would make things easier).
Thank you.

I spoke to my dealer about this and the I-Pod display is shown on the MMI screen and I understand you operate using car controls.

browellm
06-04-2008, 04:44 PM
I spoke to my dealer about this and the I-Pod display is shown on the MMI screen and I understand you operate using car controls.

Yes, but only if you order AMI (Audi Media Interface), and you can only order that if you have the SatNav module iirc.

AUDI-NUT
06-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Yes, but only if you order AMI (Audi Media Interface), and you can only order that if you have the SatNav module iirc.

Yes, this is true and I have ordered both. Bit pricey but what can you do......

Tom_kkfis
06-04-2008, 09:50 PM

Order a 1900 pound navigation sytem just for that? Somehow I can't see that happening. So, I suppose that, without the SatNav, I 'll just have to use the music player to change songs et al, or just write mp3 cds. Oh, well.
Anyway, thanks for the info guys.

Oh, a small clarification. I do know the SatNav is a very useful tool. I didn't mean to imply it isn't. It's just that I live in Cyprus and, currently, there are no maps covering my country. Plus, Cyprus is so small that SatNav is a pointless tool. I never get lost here anyway.

browellm
07-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Order a 1900 pound navigation sytem just for that? So, I suppose that, without the SatNav, I 'll just have to use the music player to change songs et al, or just write mp3 cds

Remember you do get an SD card slot that accepts up to 2gb cards. You can get about 30 albums on one of those assuming they are encoded at 192kbs.

SD cards are pennies to buy as well.

Jebu
07-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Exactly true about the SD card. Think it cost me 13 quid or something ridiciulously cheap like that for a 2gb SD card. Thats holds plenty of MP3s and it just sits snug in the system.

If you want the system for Mp3 and not Sat Nav then just do that.

If you want a flash sat nav then splash out. I guess it looks better than a £120 tom tom on your window screen but at a rather insane price.

kkwan18
07-04-2008, 04:12 PM
and you have to fork out the extra £29 for the leads connect to the iPod after that you just control the iPod on the MMI by selecting source...
my system don't come with a SD slot

Tom_kkfis
09-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Remember you do get an SD card slot that accepts up to 2gb cards. You can get about 30 albums on one of those assuming they are encoded at 192kbs.

SD cards are pennies to buy as well.
I visited my local dealer to enquire about this. Apparently, the SD card also requires the AMI/ SatNav. I guess I'll have to stick with the cd/mp3 player :(

Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

the_gasman
09-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I visited my local dealer to enquire about this. Apparently, the SD card also requires the AMI/ SatNav. I guess I'll have to stick with the cd/mp3 player :(

That's rubbish! The SD card reader is a standard feature on the SE. Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about.

Martin

dc1743
09-04-2008, 07:38 PM

Anyway, thanks for the input guys.
Hi,

This post has a picture of the SD card reader

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=125460&postcount=5

Regards

browellm
09-04-2008, 09:23 PM
That's rubbish! The SD card reader is a standard feature on the SE. Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about.

Martin

Aye, absolute cobblers. If these dealers knew anything about their products, they'd be dangerous.

Foringo
09-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Slightly confused about this image:confused:

It shows SatNav with MMI knob located on dash I thought that SatNav was only available with knob near gear lever...are there more versions:dunno:

Hi,

Regards

dc1743
10-04-2008, 06:51 AM

It shows SatNav with MMI knob located on dash I thought that SatNav was only available with knob near gear lever...are there more versions:dunno:
Hi,

I am a bit reluctant to get into a conversation about knobs :) , however in the photo the knob you refer to as the MMI knob appears to be an air con control (as there does not seem to be dual climate control in the LHD model featured).

Rgds

mkc
10-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Please could someone clarify the ipod connection.......... In my BMW I have a 3.5mm jack (AUX input) which ive connected via a £1 cable from maplins to the headphone out socket on my Ipod Touch.
I change tracks by using the ipod obviously, no fancy sat nav screen.
Is this an option on the A4. Ive seen the £200 Ipod interface listed in the brochure, but it then claims this has to be ordered with the expensive sat nav.

Im going for the S Line which obviously has the colour screen and some form of MMI for the Radio and CD I guess. I know I wont be able to see the track listings on the ipod but surely I dont have to pay £200 just to plug in an ipod/mp3 player via a 3.5mm jack socket? Almost £26K for a S Line should have this form of connection, even little cheap city cars have this as standard now.

I wont get to see a SE until next week when I have mmy test drive but plan on ordering a S Line as soon as the Mrs has double checked the child seat fit etc...........

browellm
10-04-2008, 09:25 AM

Hi,

I am a bit reluctant to get into a conversation about knobs :) , however in the photo the knob you refer to as the MMI knob appears to be an air con control (as there does not seem to be dual climate control in the LHD model featured).

Rgds

Nope, the dual air-con controls are below it.

That model does not have satnav, but the colour MMI screen (standard on SE and above) is exactly the same wether you have satnav installed or not.

You are right in assuming the MMI controls move to the transmission tunnel if satnav is installed.

kkwan18
10-04-2008, 09:52 AM
here are some image of the Audi music interface....

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm61/kkwan18/P1000711.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm61/kkwan18/P1000712.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm61/kkwan18/P1000709.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm61/kkwan18/P1000713.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm61/kkwan18/P1000718.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm61/kkwan18/P1000719.jpg

i hope this will help you guys what the connections like...

regarding the picture Vinnyg shown is a stardard model of A4 aircon, it seem that the display is upgraded to colour version.(the 2 pictures is taken from 2 different model of A4)

Foringo
10-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah but yeah but...the 2nd image below has a map display:rolleyes:

Nope, the dual air-con controls are below it.

That model does not have satnav, but the colour MMI screen (standard on SE and above) is exactly the same wether you have satnav installed or not.

You are right in assuming the MMI controls move to the transmission tunnel if satnav is installed.

mkc
10-04-2008, 08:21 PM
That was all looking good until you showed your taste in Music. :D

kkwan18
10-04-2008, 09:09 PM
i Know its bad taste, but thats my mrs iPod :D what can i do.....

just to show how well the MMI system works together with iPods/iPhone compare to BMW mini jack connection......

keith

paul b
10-04-2008, 11:31 PM
i Know its bad taste, but thats my mrs iPod :D what can i do.....

just to show how well the MMI system works together with iPods/iPhone compare to BMW mini jack connection......

keith
Wifey likes Mariah Carey too. Oh dear...

Paul

mkc
11-04-2008, 08:20 AM
BMW do offer that experience, again at a most stupid price. But they also offer the 3.5mm jack for free, which I feel Audi should be able to do.

Im not paying almost £2K to listen to music and be able to select it from a screen. Yes it looks good but but at an extra 8% of the value of the car for that, they are taking the pi$$.

Ill be buying a FM transmitter for a fiver, which will do the job for me.

paul b
12-04-2008, 12:06 AM
BMW do offer that experience, again at a most stupid price. But they also offer the 3.5mm jack for free, which I feel Audi should be able to do.

Im not paying almost £2K to listen to music and be able to select it from a screen. Yes it looks good but but at an extra 8% of the value of the car for that, they are taking the pi$$.

Ill be buying a FM transmitter for a fiver, which will do the job for me.
I bought a Belkin FM transmitter for £14 from Amazon, I've no complaints at that price!

Paul

alexcf
12-04-2008, 09:03 AM
So Paul, what you're trying to say is your wife mis-informs you on CRITICAL parts of your new car, AND then wants to be privileged enough to listen to Mariah using them!?

Jeeeeez ;) (Just kidding).

Tom_kkfis
12-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi,

Regards

I have repeatedly visited my local dealer (actually, they are the only one where I live), I've been in 3 A4s and this is the first time I've seen this slot in any of the cars. Maybe they don't offer this option here (they can be stupid like that).
Anyway, thank you for taking the time to answer.

RoscoLad
13-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi

I've just got a A4 with Sat Nav and the Music Interface and thought I'd share my thoughts.

ITS FANTASTIC.!!

I use to have a BMW with a Dice Interface which i thought was good. This is is 100 times better.
You get full control and visibility of tracks, you can see the playlists, scroll through the playlists, see whats coming next , whats gone, change playlists, tracks etc.
The track which is playing is not only shown on the Satnav screen but also on the little instrument display by the rev/speedo.
The sound quality is also superb with no interference.
This is a very good interface indeed.
You just plug the iPod into the glove compartment and forgets its there...this is the way to go.

:beerchug:

paul b
13-05-2008, 11:44 PM
So Paul, what you're trying to say is your wife mis-informs you on CRITICAL parts of your new car, AND then wants to be privileged enough to listen to Mariah using them!?

Jeeeeez ;) (Just kidding).
Ha, just seen this reply. That's terrible isn't it. Another critical thing, she never tells me when theres very little fuel in it. I was going to go to a mate's in Sharston tonight, there was barely enough fuel in it for that! Jeez!
She's dreadful isn't she... shhh...

Paul

B6Andy101
14-05-2008, 04:55 PM
The 2009 model year will feature an option (standard on SE and S line) for the Concert radio with an AUX input in the car (Order code 8UD) or for £275 (on SE or S Line) with the Symphony radio and 6 disc changer (Order code 8UM).

Seems like a better deal to me.:fing02: