PDA

View Full Version : Knocking from front on A3 when wheels are spinning

LB2007
05-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi wondered if any of you guys can help i have got a 2001 A3 1.6 Sport and over the last few days i can hear a knocking sound from the front. when the wheels are spinning you can hear it but not when its just idling. i am thinking maybe a bearing or some sort of joint.

i would appreciate any help or suggestions you guys can give.

Thanks

LB2007
06-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I have located where the noise is coming from it is in the gearbox. If i put my hand over the gearbox oil allen key nut underneath i can fill the knocking coming through the metal casing.

Crasher
06-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Diff rivet failure. The car will have a DUU code box, a huge problem. Goggle DUU+VW and see what I mean.

LB2007
08-04-2008, 03:47 PM
so am i best to look for a new gearbox or is there a cheaper way of curing this problem

regards

Crasher
08-04-2008, 05:34 PM
The best thing to do is fit a genuine VAG recon gearbox but the box alone will cost you £1361.91 inc. VAT before you even start to install it. Alternatively you could try and have your box rebuilt, buy an exchange repaired unit from one of the many internet retailers (I have experienced and heard some serious horror stories using this method), buy one of the new pattern boxes that are now available (the two I have fitted were very noisy-lots of gear whine) or find a good used box, which is nearly impossible and will cost you around £500. If you do buy a used box, get rid of the car pronto! If one comes in here with this problem, I will only supply a genuine VAG exchange unit, if the customer wishes a used, rebuilt or pattern new box I make them supply it and if there is a problem, they have to pay the labour it costs to deal with it-that is how little faith I have in any method other than genuine VAG.