PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!! water in my boot!

Chunks
07-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi,

first post :o

I need some help / advice with my Mk4 golf GTI

I noticed th other day that there was water coming into the boot but I couldn't see where it was coming from. Not a lot of water but enough to make the bottom left of the carpet wet. There's a small trickle falling into the spare wheel well also.

My old man had a look and said it might be because it's located above the back left wheel. It looks like its a seperate panel in the boot florr (under the carpet) there. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Another suggestion was the drains for the sunroof?? Would this be a common result of the sunroof problem?

How do I fix it? It's driving me nuts and I'm desperate for some help! :aargh4:

I found a similar topic in another thread here http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2223

but it wasn't much help.

Anyone? Please! I'm screwed!!

adamss24
07-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Does it have aftermarket rear lights? If yes you may wanna check the sealing gaskets as usually they not up to the job. Also check the rubber surrounding the tailgate.

Chunks
07-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I've checked the rubber around the tailgat and all is intact and sound. The rear lights are non-aftermarket lights, they haven't been altered in any way since production.

This is starting to seriously worry me :1zhelp:

kev t
11-12-2006, 10:58 PM
check the water is not coming from your rear washer.the washer may work but the connecter to the jet may be loose.water runs down the tailgate inner panel into the boot.i know cause my 2001 golf had a recipt for this repair before i bought it but it happened again with me!frustraiting but an easy fix.:zx11:

off-the-planet
15-12-2006, 01:50 AM
I had a similar problem - the tailgate washer pipe had split where it enters the tailgate by the hinges. Every time the washer was operated, water poured down the inside of the rear n/s body pillar and into the boot. A new piece of pipe solved it.

Rachel
19-12-2006, 09:49 AM
I had the same problem with my car when I bought it a few years ago. The motor had gone on the rear wiper. When I was using the back washer the water wasn't really coming out and just leaking into the boot. I also had to have the lock replaced on the boot as this had rusted with the leaking. I don't know how much this would of cost as my car was under warranty.

Rachel.

Paul Hopkinson
19-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi, recently I had 1" of water in the boot in my Eos. This was due to water getting in behind the left hand side rear light cluster, due to a faulty seal .

Hope this helps.

Chunks
19-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Was it expensive to fix? Where did you buy a new seal from?

On an other note, recently I've noticed my windscreen and sunroof are very wet with condensation on the inside of the car. Would this bedue to the damp in the boot you reckon? Was this the same with you until you got your leak fixed?

thanks

Paul Hopkinson
19-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Was it expensive to fix? Where did you buy a new seal from?

On an other note, recently I've noticed my windscreen and sunroof are very wet with condensation on the inside of the car. Would this bedue to the damp in the boot you reckon? Was this the same with you until you got your leak fixed?

thanks

I don't know the cost because it was all done under warranty, but it took the dealer 5 days to sort, so I was glad that I did not have to pay for 5 days labour cost.

and yes the windsrceen and sunroof were very wet with condensation due to the water in the boot.
Now that the boot leak is fixed, the condensation problem is greatly reduced, but it is still present to a lesser extent.