PDA

View Full Version : Eos Sat Nav

nigelsud
05-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I have a 2007 EOS with a Blaupunkt MFD2 RNS DVD. You cannot enter full UK postcodes and, frankly, the system is very poor, fiddly to use and poor out in
the wilds of the UK country side. My neighbour's TOM TOM gives better performance. Post-Oct 2007 I gather that VW has replaced their SATNAV with a Touch Screen system.

My dealer upgraded my DVD to the TeleAtlas 2008 version, which is marginally better than the 2007 version but the problem of postcodes remains. I hear rumour that TeleAtlas are bringing out new software to overcome the postcode problem. I would be interested to hear other's views on the built in VW satnav systems and any news of upgrades. For the money, I regret the MFD 2 seems very poor value indeed.

igram
19-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I have a 2007 EOS with a Blaupunkt MFD2 RNS DVD. You cannot enter full UK postcodes and, frankly, the system is very poor, fiddly to use and poor out in
the wilds of the UK country side. My neighbour's TOM TOM gives better performance. Post-Oct 2007 I gather that VW has replaced their SATNAV with a Touch Screen system.

My dealer upgraded my DVD to the TeleAtlas 2008 version, which is marginally better than the 2007 version but the problem of postcodes remains. I hear rumour that TeleAtlas are bringing out new software to overcome the postcode problem. I would be interested to hear other's views on the built in VW satnav systems and any news of upgrades. For the money, I regret the MFD 2 seems very poor value indeed.

I have the new 2008 model with the touch screen. Still no post codes but it seems to be spot on with the detail. Only complaint is that the female voice seems to have a minor speech impediment - slurs the s ! Traffic announcements satisfactory and of course the whole thing is packaged well with the entertainment system - no need for cd's anymore - but updates may present a problem

eko
19-04-2008, 03:25 PM
I also have a new touch screen sat nav. No postcode. I was told by the VW dealer that they are creating an update but he did not have the release date. The detail and information in UK and Europe so far appears to be good. The 30GB hard disk is very good for keeping all your music on. You can also use the SD card slot to play the music as long as the card is up to 2GB. I also like the facility to play DVDs when the car is stationary (I spend a lot of time in ferry ports so this option is very good for me). I am generally happy with the system.

igram
19-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Does your Sat Nav voice have the lisp?

nigelsud
19-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi and thanks to Igram and Eko. VW posted the following message in Mar 08:

Information Update
5 March 2008
Subject RNS 510 satellite navigation disc Info 140/08 Reference
exchange programme 2 Pages
The disc for the RNS 510 touch-screen satellite navigation system now includes five-digit postcode search functionality. The revised version will be available for all new vehicles fitted with this option as per the normal request process from Allmail Services.
Those customers who have purchased affected vehicles (since the system was launched in week 22, 2007) can exchange their current disc for the new edition. We will send you a list of your affected customers, along with a quantity of revised discs, so that you can contact them. If appropriate, as a gesture of goodwill, we would also like you to offer them a bottle of champagne (as per Info 366/07).
Exchange programmes usually require you to return parts or be charged, as the manufacturer bills us for non-returns. We will waive the charge in this instance, as we are confident that you will return all old discs (along with any remaining new discs) to us within 20 working days, as required by the manufacturer. By ensuring all old/unused discs are returned, you can have a positive effect on charges levied in future exchange programmes.
Please see attached process map for details of the exchange programme.
Paul Jenkins
Volkswagen Customer Service Manager

Have a bottle on me.

Best wishes

Nigel

igram
20-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Nigelsud

Thanks, but have not heard from my dealer since I bought the car on 3rd March 2008. Guess they don't want to give away a bottle of champagne! Maybe I will give them a call (but they (the sales staff) didn't seem to know a lot about the Sat/Nav system when I went through the handover process - they found a technician eventually who knew his onions.

gtidave
20-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Dealers recieved the update DVDs last week along with a list of exactly which vehicles they are for. Your dealer will have a jiffy bag full of DVDs and a chassis number list. I would suggest that anyone who is expecting the new discs, to contact their dealer now. You will need to give them your old DVD as this is an exchange programme.

There is obviously no cost for this. The champagne is at the dealers discretion and is dependent on whether they signed up for the complimentary champagne arrangement with Volkswagen. Some didn't!

Although the update came out some time ago, it was Volkswagens hope that this would delay, pasify, reduce the flack for the problem caused by the software people. The DVDs and effected list have only just been dispatched.

Hope this helps

Dave

igram
21-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Thanks gtidave

Email gone to the dealer - declining the champagne for a quick response

igram
22-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Dealer confirmed new disc in the post - now that is service!

igram
24-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Got the new disc - V3 Europe West (Navtec/via Michelin and TrafficMaster). Can't say I noticed much new stuff - no post codes for UK and it might have street numbers though. Is V3 really the latest?

AlanHTX
04-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Had a 2008 EOS with touch screen for 2 weeks now - the dealer has been unable to supply ANY satnav disk for the car - so radio is still all in German, so can't work out how to use the 30GB drive even!

Anybody else get a new EOS delivered without any disk or is our dealer messing us about ?

igram
04-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Had a 2008 EOS with touch screen for 2 weeks now - the dealer has been unable to supply ANY satnav disk for the car - so radio is still all in German, so can't work out how to use the 30GB drive even!

Anybody else get a new EOS delivered without any disk or is our dealer messing us about ?

Must be messing you about. Mine (delivered in March 08) had the v2 western Europe DVD located in the cd/dvd drive and a demo dvd showing how the system works. The Dealer has now sent me the v3 version which is automatically updated when inseted in the cd/dvd slot and seems to give house number locations rather than just street locations.

I am surprised that the system does not work - suggest you press setup and type in united kingdom?

eko
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Hi All

I have had mine sat nav updated few weeks ago with the Europe West V3 DVD and the postcode function now works. When I asked if I get to keep the new DVD I was told that the dealership was only given one to do all the updates so I was told to keep my version 2 DVD. Has this been the case with anybody else?

Ed

igram
05-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi All

I have had mine sat nav updated few weeks ago with the Europe West V3 DVD and the postcode function now works. When I asked if I get to keep the new DVD I was told that the dealership was only given one to do all the updates so I was told to keep my version 2 DVD. Has this been the case with anybody else?

Ed

That is strange - my dealer sent me and update in exchange for the old v2 Europe West. I now have a v3 DVD in my system. However I do not have post codes? Any thoughts?

eko
06-05-2008, 07:37 PM
When we installed the new DVD at one point the system asked if it should copy all the points of interest onto the hard disk. To this we answered YES. The operation lasted about 30 minutes and when the dealer took back his DVD I tried the post code option and it quite happily accepted the first 5 characters of the postcode. This worked even without the DVD in the CD slot. I hope this helps.

Ed

igram
06-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Everything hunkydory now - althought the postcode is not really better than knowing the proper address

igram
08-05-2008, 07:06 PM
:approve:All sorted now - no problems and updated the firmware to version 1022 as well. I still remain to be convinced that the post code facility is really helpfull

eko
08-05-2008, 10:02 PM
How do I check what version of firmware do I have on my system. Also if it is not the latest version how do I update.

Thanks.

Ed

igram
08-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Switch on the RNS510 then hold down the SETUP button for about 15 seconds - then the system program starts up. Follow the menu as appropriate.

Check out this site for more details on the update http://vwnavi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7268

nigel_f
15-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I have V3 and it does do postcodes. You have to enter them in the "town" box and it only accepts the first 5 characters. For a more precise location you then have to enter the street name and number.

Nigel