PDA

View Full Version : Replacing standard Passat speakers

shuggy2005
04-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Hi People,

I am new to the car business and this forum, so apologies if I have posted in the wrong section.

I have blown my front left speaker on my 2001 Y reg Passat and I am looking to get the changed. Do you guys know what size the speakers are ? and are they relativeley easy to replace? Because i know places charge silly money just to replace them.

Many thanks in advance

Shuggy

kimandsally
05-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi People,

I am new to the car business and this forum, so apologies if I have posted in the wrong section.

I have blown my front left speaker on my 2001 Y reg Passat and I am looking to get the changed. Do you guys know what size the speakers are ? and are they relativeley easy to replace? Because i know places charge silly money just to replace them.

Many thanks in advance

Shuggy

Hi mate I might be able to do you a favor here, I have a set of Sharan speakers from a 1999 model, chances are they are the same, if you want to take your speakers out and measure them I'll let you know if they'll fit.

If you've not taken speakers out before they are easy to do, you have to pull the door trim off, first look if there are any screws and take them out then carefully pull the trim away from the door and using a torch you will see plastic holding clips you have to pull the trim off at that point, some will break but they are a few pence only and can be got from the VW dealer readily, take your time and you "might" not break any of them, I find a plastic 12" ruler to be handy along with a flat bladed screwdriver, first cover all the blade of the screwdriver with masking tape to stop any damage if you slip.

shuggy2005
06-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I have managed to strip the door panel off and had a peek around. I have one question. The speaker bracets that I have are MDF. I can easilly attach the speaker to them however when attaching it to the door. I can either use longer screws to attach them, as it was setup with the stock speakers. Or I was thinking of maybe using some epoxy glue to attach the MDF to the metal car door. The speakers i have are Fusion Comp6, they come with small brackets that I am suppose o put over the holes, but I am unable to attach them without sawing away , using a wheel cutter or somethin likr Dremel.

What do you guys think ?

kimandsally
06-04-2008, 10:30 PM
I've no experience of fitting anything other than replacement speakers of the same size, it's always easier that way.

Col
06-04-2008, 11:26 PM
If you look on ebay or similar, you can get spacer brackets, they will accept 170mm mids.

Also, make sure you get comps and replace the tweeters as well (there is plenty of room behind the door panel for a cross over btw). The tweeters are a bit of a fiddle but a hole saw and a hot melt glue gun sort it. Best mod I ever did to mine.

shuggy2005
11-04-2008, 12:25 AM
I have managed to look around and install the brackets and the speakers. I am no too sure about the wiring of the speakers. The stock speakers has 4 wires, Black/White/Red&White/blue i think, but not sure where they go on my speakers.

any ideas ppl ?

thanks

pgarner
11-04-2008, 12:31 AM
the 4 wires might be + and - speaker and + and - for the tweeter
which one is which i dont know