PDA

View Full Version : Seat Alhambra 130tdi power loss

notwenam
06-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Yes I know but there is currently a shortage of SEAT forums and I believe the same engine is used in a number of VAG cars.

I have a 2005 SEAT Alhambra with 40k on the clock and about 5k ago I started to experience a power loss problem. It occurs when cruising at whatever speed and you press the throttle to find that the response is only half what you would expect. The engine still pulls but feebly! If I just flick the ignition off and then back on again all is restored to its normat torquey glory.

It can be 200 miles between faults or one night it did it 5 times in the space of 10 miles.

It has been into the main dealer several times and they are totally puzzled, there are no entries in the EMU faullt log so the dont know where to start. Fortunately it did it when I was on my way there so I did not reset it and they could see for themselves. The conclusion is that it has dropped into "limp home mode" but without entries in the fault log they can make no progress.

SEAT technical have been consulted and can offer no help to the dealer even though it is still under warranty.

Any suggestions as to the likely cause or how to handle it with SEAT?

Thanks

Mike

julian2002
13-12-2006, 12:04 AM
hi mike,
i had a very similar problem to you recently with my 115 pd alhambra (although mine had done roughly twice the mileage yours had).
my problem was caused by an 'overboost' which basically means the turbo was delivering too much boost and the engine management was cutting in with limp mode to stop any damage.
the underlying cause of this was a sooted up turbo which apparently is a common problem with the pd engines - unfortunately this is a big ticket job (cost me just over 1k to fix it). usually it would hit limp mode if i reved it out to 3.5k+ and changed gear vigorously or was accelerating up hill in a highish gear (4, 5, or 6 depending on the hills steepness).
a Google around on various car forums will show that this is a well known problem so your dealer should be aware of it.
if my car was still under warranty I'd be hammering the counter and going as high as i can to get this fixed. demand a courtesy car, leave your bamma with them and tell them not to give it back until they've either fixed it or replaced it.
if they refuse get whatever ombudsmen the motor industry has involved. don't just let it slide until the warranty expires.

chrispyg
27-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi Mike you need to be a little tougher with your dealer and tell them they will have to keep hold of your car until the fault is rectified. your car is still in warranty so they do have a obligation to repair your car and supply you with a loan car.

regards chris

Eshrules
29-12-2006, 12:51 PM
just an additional note on this :P the turbo sticking fault is common on these pd engines, i know its a differnt car, but my gt tdi golf had the same fault, the supplying dealer provided a recon turbo, fitted, FOC. i was given a couresty car for the duration of the repair and not looked back since! your cars still under warranty, as such the dealer has a legal obligation to repair this car, if they are admitting there is a fault but not able to rectify it, i am fairly sure they should be offering you an alternative vehicle until they can do! if that car deicides to worsen as a result of you using it, they will use that against you. if they continue to 'fob' you off, speak to trading standards :) :drive: