PDA

View Full Version : would bigger wheels lengthen my gearing?

jez24oo
04-04-2008, 10:41 PM
i have a a3 1.8t quattro great car for nipping around town. the problem beging when i hit the motorway i dont run out of power theres bags of that and the acceleration's fine its just the cruzing revs seem to be a little high would larger diameter wheels make for a more sedate cruzin speed? like at 65 thigs are great not much engine noise or two many revs but once you get to 70 (or so)thr rpm is nearer 3500 400 rpm i dontr want to go into the discussion of wheel weight vs fule economey and all that guff i just wondered if it would reduce the revs alittle yet keeping the same if not slightls highr mid range speed p.s. im not a boy racer im just looking for a slightly longer gearing set up as my seems alittle short can anyone lend some advice
is a stock a3 with 100000 on the clock with no mods at all 1999 turbo alloys

current wheel size 205/55wr16? would that sound right mich prim hp

smiglyy
05-04-2008, 08:06 AM
hi buddy i would of thought it wouldnt change as the bigger the wheels the smaller the profile of the tyres to keep them the same size otherwise it would mess with the speedo etc as if they were bigger tyres you wouldnt get a true speed from the car could you not fit a 6 speed gearbox??? tthats the best i can say m8 sorry

Lofty79
05-04-2008, 08:35 AM
If you went to an inch bigger wheels with the same profile tyres you would get a minimal difference, but also a difference in speed, in order to make a big enough difference in revs the speed would be too innacurate, and you may find a loss of power onn hills and around town