PDA

View Full Version : Aircon Issues...

djl78
04-04-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm having problems with the Aircon on my Allroad.Press auto and everything fires up as normal but temp doesn't drop.
I was under the impression that if coolant was low then system wouldn't go to auto.
Anyone experienced anything similar or have a bit of Aircon know how???

Thanks

djl78
05-04-2008, 01:10 PM
It also appears that it is possible to have both the ECON and AUTO light on at the same time.
I thought that wasn't possible..

Anybody please.......

buster
06-04-2008, 11:43 AM
It also appears that it is possible to have both the ECON and AUTO light on at the same time.
I thought that wasn't possible..

Anybody please.......

Mine does that.

ECON means it will only blow out hot air, or cold air from the surroundings. i.e. it will only use what is has got, and will not condition the air. Turn that off and the Air conditioner will cool the air.

AUTO means that it will keep the car at a set temperature. If too cold, it will heat it up, if too hot it will cool the car. If the ECON light is on also, it will try to cool the car WITHOUT the air conditoner.

The system you have is a climate control which is a fully automatic system which keeps the car at a set temperature if you let it. It will use the air conditioner if it needs to but you can stop it from doing so by pressing the ECON button. (it does use a lot of fuel)

I hope that makes sense.

What do you mean by, 'the temperature doesn't drop?'

What are the temperatures set at, on both sides?

Peter D
06-04-2008, 02:04 PM
If you mean the tmeps are flashing then you have an aircon fault and it is telling this, normally for 4 minutes. You need to get the codes read. This could be low pressure so possible an A/C leak or it just needs to be flused oiled and refilled £50 to £70 for a decent Indi. Regards Peter

djl78
07-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the replies.
With both temps set to low and auto selected there is no significant temperature drop.Only down to ambient temp.
Going to take it to a friends garage this week and see if he can find anything wrong.
Thanks again

djl78
10-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Update...
Took car to a friends garage and refrigerant was low (about half full) so had it charged up to correct amount.Aircon still not working though.Compressor clutch doesn't seem to kick in when Auto selected.Compressor doesn't appeare to be seized as it can the pulley can be moved by hand.Everything else seems ok.
Anybody have any clues?????
Could it be the safety switch that isn't working?
Thanks

Peter D
10-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Check high and low pressure switches and the power feed to the clutch. Regards Peter

djl78
10-04-2008, 10:44 PM
I've checked the magnetic clutch relay which lives behind the fuse box and it appears to be operating when Auto is selected on the Aircon panel.Not had a chance to check wiring to magnetic clutch or safety switch (pressure switch) as it's been raining all day.
Is it possible to bypass the safety switch with a jumper lead???

Peter D
11-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Only for short time test purposes. Regards Peter

djl78
11-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Fixed It.........
As i said before,relay was operating correctly so i traced the wiring between relay and magnetic clutch and found a connector which was loose.......how it came loose is another question.Aircon was definitely working when i bought the vehicle back in November so maybe it was disconnected when the timing belt was done.
Anyway,reconnected said plug and Aircon is now working as per normal.
Thanks again for the help Peter.d:beerchug:

preesr
19-04-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm having problems with the Aircon on my Allroad.Press auto and everything fires up as normal but temp doesn't drop.
I was under the impression that if coolant was low then system wouldn't go to auto.
Anyone experienced anything similar or have a bit of Aircon know how???

Thanks

I have similar problem in my A4 2002 Conv, I 've owned since new. The defect first appeared in 2005 due to a leak (I'm informed) in the air con compressor. That's what I was informed as the reason why the coolant gasses leak. Audi can carry out a dye test for the leak which may be microscpoic and requires a couple of pit stops at the garage to diagnose.I'm not technical but that's what I've been told.
Regards
Phil

davejcb
08-05-2008, 06:31 PM
I've checked the magnetic clutch relay which lives behind the fuse box and it appears to be operating when Auto is selected on the Aircon panel.Not had a chance to check wiring to magnetic clutch or safety switch (pressure switch) as it's been raining all day.
Is it possible to bypass the safety switch with a jumper lead???

Which relay is it? whats the number?

davejcb
08-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Fixed It.........
As i said before,relay was operating correctly so i traced the wiring between relay and magnetic clutch and found a connector which was loose.......how it came loose is another question.Aircon was definitely working when i bought the vehicle back in November so maybe it was disconnected when the timing belt was done.
Anyway,reconnected said plug and Aircon is now working as per normal.
Thanks again for the help Peter.d:beerchug:

Where was this connector?