PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Key

HotChip
04-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I see that there exists such a beast as an "advanced key."

http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/tools/glossary/operation_comfort/advanced_key.html

Whilst not altogether convinced of the tangible benefits of such a key, I have always dreamed of starting my motor with the push of a button.

The advanced key is shown in the new A4 users mini-guide available on Audi's website, so I assume it is possible to have it. However it is not available as an option through Audi's online configurator and it is not shown in the current brochure as standard on any model.

When I test drove an SE it didn't have this key, but it's an S-line that I've ordered so I'm hoping it will come with the advanced key as standard.

Anyone have any info?

Froggy
04-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Advanced key is an option - not standard on anything as far as I know.

In Fact the Brochure says;

Advanced key. Access and authorisation system which automatically exchanges data between key and vehicle,
allowing the driver to keep the key in their pocket or bag at all times. To unlock and open, simply lift the exterior door handle.
To lock, press the button on the handle. Pressing the start/stop button integrated into the centre console starts
and stops the engine
£495.00

It's only available as an option on the SE and S-Line models not the basic spec car.

ini
04-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Sounds good, i want one..:D

I think its more a case of 'advanced car', rather than advanced remote.

The normal ignition 'transponder' capsule/chip has a range of approx 15cm.

If it was able to use the 'remote' battery, or have a much more powerful reader coil all these 'hands free' options would be possible.

If you cant get the OEM system, there are remote start alarms that provide a transponder settup with options like this.

HotChip
04-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I've now noticed it in the brochure, not sure how I missed it last time.

£495!! Eeeek. Looks like I'll be following R Kelly's advice and sticking my key in the ignition.

alexcf
05-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Heh, I ordered advanced key, only thing is, I wanted an extra key, cost me about £150!!! £100ish for the key, then a £50 coding charge, i.e. £50 for 5 seconds work. :(

digigriffin
07-04-2008, 10:39 AM
When I test drove an SE the key was a rectangular fob type thing that you inserted into the dash and then pushed in to start the car.

Is that the advanced key?

I thought that was standard and the advanced key was auto unlocking/locking when the key was near the doors?

MAW
07-04-2008, 12:49 PM
When I test drove an SE the key was a rectangular fob type thing that you inserted into the dash and then pushed in to start the car.

Is that the advanced key?

I thought that was standard and the advanced key was auto unlocking/locking when the key was near the doors?
I have had my new A4 SE for a few weeks now - as suggested the key is a smooth rectangular lozenge which you push into a slot in the dash to switch the ignition on and then push again (having first depressed the clutch) to start the engine. I did not select the advanced key option, which seems to add automatic locking and unlocking of the car without removing the key from your pocket - not sure what else is different if anything.

kaysquare
07-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Heh, I ordered advanced key, only thing is, I wanted an extra key, cost me about £150!!! £100ish for the key, then a £50 coding charge, i.e. £50 for 5 seconds work. :(

Hi Alex, you had an extra key? Does it sync with the mem seats?

alexcf
07-08-2008, 04:20 PM
kay, replied in the other thread...

Admin, can you merge the threads together?