PDA

View Full Version : Crome window trim problems

Stewarty
04-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi All -I have recently bought a 55 A4 Avant Sline 2Ltr Diesel, which i noticed after buying that the crome trim along the bottom of the door windows is loosing its shine. The car is still under warranty and when i visited my local Audi dealer they informed me that this 'milking effect' (as they described it) was not covered under warranty. They also intimated that is by no means the first time they have seen this. I have, however noticed that a number of members in this forum have suffered from the same issue and was wondering if anybody has taken the problem to Audi and been successful in persuading them to sort it out.:1zhelp:

El Guapo
05-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi All -I have recently bought a 55 A4 Avant Sline 2Ltr Diesel, which i noticed after buying that the crome trim along the bottom of the door windows is loosing its shine. The car is still under warranty and when i visited my local Audi dealer they informed me that this 'milking effect' (as they described it) was not covered under warranty. They also intimated that is by no means the first time they have seen this. I have, however noticed that a number of members in this forum have suffered from the same issue and was wondering if anybody has taken the problem to Audi and been successful in persuading them to sort it out.:1zhelp:

Come on mate they are not going to do anything under warranty really are they? How do they or you know what has been used to clean the trim with? Maybe it was not looked after at all? There are too many variables really for them to admit liability I think. But if you don't ask you don't get I guess!.

Stewarty
07-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Yea, fair comment, suppose they have to look for any way out they can. But a premium brand car demands premium dealers! - yea right. The strange thing is that not all the crome strips are milky, some parts of the strips are ok and the crome strips around the upper part of the door windows are unnaffected. You would think that dodgy cleaning products and not faulty car parts would be a little less choosey about the parts of the crome to attack!

GH20TDI
07-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Yea, fair comment, suppose they have to look for any way out they can. But a premium brand car demands premium dealers! - yea right. The strange thing is that not all the crome strips are milky, some parts of the strips are ok and the crome strips around the upper part of the door windows are unnaffected. You would think that dodgy cleaning products and not faulty car parts would be a little less choosey about the parts of the crome to attack!

I have exactly this, but only on the passenger side (and only at the bottom). The car was a demonstrator and at the time I bought the car I thought it was just water marks that would come out - no such luck! Point is that whatever caused it was done by the Audi dealer (or it is just defctive!).

I've had the car for three years now and it has not got any worse (or better).

Stewarty
07-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I think the problem is more widespread than it appears or perhaps its just that my warranty period runs out in Sept and panic is setting in!

jonbaker
07-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Join the club! i've discussed this with other members on here previously. Mine is exactly the same, only the lower chrome along the windows, the rest is fine. They blame it on products but like you say, why isn't the rest effected?

Mine is like watermarks but it's actually 'in' the chrome or aluminium or whatever it is. It is impossible to remove, you either have to live with it or get it replaced (not cheap!)

A real bummer as when your car is gleaming this realy does spoil it :aargh4:

Post back if you find out anymore info on this subject

Stewarty
07-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Has anybody you know of made an approach to Audi UK for an Official response? It did seem a bit strange that as soon as i said what the issue was in the dealership the abrupt response was 'its not covered under warranty' before i had even broached the subject of a warranty repair.

jonbaker
07-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Not that i know of, but it would be interesting to write to them to get an official response supported by all the members on here that have suffered this problem. It's obviously something that they are well aware of and haven't put right at least back to when my car was built in 2001. It shouldn't go like that from just standard cleaning products, there must be a fault with it. But what is really strange is that only the bottom chrome framing goes like it, very weird.

I wonder if any b8's will suffer this? i'm not sure about other audis only heard about it on the a4.

paul b
07-04-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't know if any of you have tried writing to Audi, I don't know their address, but Stuart the forum owner could get hold of that for you.

Paul

Stewarty
08-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Not sure if these details are right, but:
Top Man - Jeremy Hicks
Address - Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes MK14 5AN
Quick search of the fount of knowlege that is google returned the above. Will need to research an expert in the process of manufacture of these components - any ideas where to start and what subject area it might be listed under?

Andebures
13-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone, I too have recently bought a 2006 Audi A4 Avant and only when I went to collect the car did I notice that the window trims were discoloured with water marks under the plastic. I looked at the car twice previously and didn't notice the marks, but on these occasions the weather was wet and the marks are well disguised by the rain. The dealer told me before I had a chance to even point out the defect, that the marks were caused by the wrong type of cleaning agents being used to wash the car. They also said it wasn't covered by a warranty and quoted approx £120 per door to fix. More profit for them I guess. I was given to understand that Audi have since changed the materials used for the trims. This in itself is a sign that they recognize it as a problem.

My view is that this problem is common knowledge with Audi and occurs quite frequently to the extent that it should considered a fault and thereby covered by the warranty. I am intending to write to Audi on this matter requesting it be covered. This kind of problem certainly shouldn't be happening on cars of less than 3 years old.
Apart from this I'm really pleased with the car.

If I have any more updates, I'll keep you posted.

jonbaker
14-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi everyone, I too have recently bought a 2006 Audi A4 Avant and only when I went to collect the car did I notice that the window trims were discoloured with water marks under the plastic. I looked at the car twice previously and didn't notice the marks, but on these occasions the weather was wet and the marks are well disguised by the rain. The dealer told me before I had a chance to even point out the defect, that the marks were caused by the wrong type of cleaning agents being used to wash the car. They also said it wasn't covered by a warranty and quoted approx £120 per door to fix. More profit for them I guess. I was given to understand that Audi have since changed the materials used for the trims. This in itself is a sign that they recognize it as a problem.

My view is that this problem is common knowledge with Audi and occurs quite frequently to the extent that it should considered a fault and thereby covered by the warranty. I am intending to write to Audi on this matter requesting it be covered. This kind of problem certainly shouldn't be happening on cars of less than 3 years old.
Apart from this I'm really pleased with the car.

If I have any more updates, I'll keep you posted.

Interesting. "wrong type of cleaning products" what a cop out, do they provide a list of the 'correct' ones then? ofcourse not, they dont mention it full stop. Like you say, if they have changed the materials they are built with now then they are obviously admitting defeat.

I think most people, if they do notice it on purchase, just assume they are watermarks as i did. It's only when you go to clean it you realise you have been well and truley shafted with an inferior product that cannot cope with the elements and or cleaning products. A disgrace to Audi this is it makes me maaaad:zx11::zx11::zx11:

I've just had lots of cosmetic repairs (dents/dings, new windscreen, refurb alloys) now this is the last thing but i refuse to give Audi money for this job.

Let us know how you get on with your letter, you may want to mention this forum and the amount of people that complain about the problem... good luck;)

elPaulio
14-04-2008, 02:34 PM
I have just bought a 54 plate A4 S-Line and was reading through the manual last night and it does mention this "milking" effect and states quite clearly in there that it can be caused by automatic car washes.

I agree that Audi shold have made the product able to resist this effect more, but to say that they don't mention it and are trying to keep it from you is a bit unfair!
If someone had used abrasive chemicals cleaning the alloys, would you expect that to be done under the warranty? I certainly wouldn't!

Just my 2p's worth :)

Paul

jonbaker
14-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I have just bought a 54 plate A4 S-Line and was reading through the manual last night and it does mention this "milking" effect and states quite clearly in there that it can be caused by automatic car washes.

I agree that Audi shold have made the product able to resist this effect more, but to say that they don't mention it and are trying to keep it from you is a bit unfair!
If someone had used abrasive chemicals cleaning the alloys, would you expect that to be done under the warranty? I certainly wouldn't!

Just my 2p's worth :)

Paul

A premium quality brand such as Audi should not be using materials that can potentialy have a 'milking' effect. What exactly is the chemical that causes it and why is it only (normaly) the lower chrome part that runs along the window that is effected. I have never used a automatic car wash and i cant see many people who have paid alot of money for their Audis putting it through an Automatic car wash, if they had stated avoid using products containing ???? chemical then that would be fair enough, it's a bit broad to just say 'automatic car wash'! I have read my manual page for page a few times and there is no mention of it in mine.

Do other makes who use chrome trim have this problem?

John140
15-04-2008, 09:04 AM
I've got this on my 2007 A4 Avant drivers door trim. Pointed out to the dealer as well as the same prob on other A4's + A6's which just resulted in a note and a shrug of shoulders !

jonbaker
15-04-2008, 09:55 AM
I've got this on my 2007 A4 Avant drivers door trim. Pointed out to the dealer as well as the same prob on other A4's + A6's which just resulted in a note and a shrug of shoulders !

You see, it's a conspiracy lol. I wonder just how many cars suffer this. This is just posted in the b7 forum so many others may not have seen this. There are a few threads on this subject on this forum saying that though.

And all the people that aren't even members of this forum, there must be thousands if not tens of thousands of people with chrome trim that all have the same problem, it really is pee poor from Audi. I've said enough on this, i'm like an old woman at times :biglaugh:

purplesweetie
15-04-2008, 01:25 PM
I took my 04 plate car to Stirling Audi when it was just in warranty and they replaced all of my trim, no questions asked.
It did take them 3 days and would have cost a small fortune if I was paying for it.

Stewarty
15-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Wonder if they have learned something from that incident as it was Stirling Audi that told me that i am not covered under warranty, but then again i did not buy the car from them!
How long ago was it that you had the trim replaced?

purplesweetie
15-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I took the car to them last February and I did not buy the car from any Audi dealer.

jonbaker
15-04-2008, 05:12 PM
I took the car to them last February and I did not buy the car from any Audi dealer.

Sounds like you had a result there! Did they give you any advice for your new trim?

purplesweetie
15-04-2008, 08:08 PM
They never said a word.
But I recon it would have cost the best part of £2k if I had a pay for it.
Silly money!!:bigeyes:

shaziman
16-04-2008, 07:58 PM
I had mine replaced free at my dealer when i bought the car as obviously it wasn't my fault. Don't use heavy washing fluids and always clean off the water and it should stop. I even polish mine!

stormneil
04-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Hi

I just spent the weekend cleaning my 2006 S-line. The chrome under the windows had the same water marks as discribed. I found that Mer wax works a treat. Brought the chrome up like new. Could be worth giving it a try!

toff
04-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi

I just spent the weekend cleaning my 2006 S-line. The chrome under the windows had the same water marks as discribed. I found that Mer wax works a treat. Brought the chrome up like new. Could be worth giving it a try!

Hi,

Is Mer wax available from Halfords? Is the chrome lacquered on the B6 / B7 or is it just the bare chrome plating that you're polishing?

Thanks
Al.

stormneil
05-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi.

Yeah Halfords or A1 Motorstore sells Mer. I used it on the chrome lacquered bits under the windows and around the top of the windows. It also brought up the Audi rings like new. I used it in the same way as if I was waxing the paintwork on the car. Just put some on a cloth, rub onto the chrome leave to dry to a haze (5 mins) and buff off. I would try it on a small bit first to see the difference it makes. Hope it works as well for you!

Neil

jonbaker
05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
I doubt very much that mer or any product will be able to remove the genuine 'milky'/'water mark' effect. This staining is actualy within the metal, it has somehow got under its actual surface.

Mer is a good product though, i have used it on cars many times before.

I have tried many products on this problem including mer, autosol and peek, nothing budges it :zx11:

BSeven
12-05-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm seeing a little bit of this effect on my trim, and I really didn't notice it at all when I bought the car 2 months ago...I think it may be related to acid rain, or chemicals in rainwater, or maybe even the hardness or softness of the water being used to wash the car...It does seem odd for Audi to use a material like this, that had to have been tested for durability when they designed the car:confused:...The other brightwork on around the grille seems to be fine, why not just make the window trim out of that too?

It might be cool if Audi would pay to have the trim replaced free of charge at some point, and give a choice of chrome, black, body coloured trim...Has anyone tried a DIY to paint or refinish the trim strips? Mine is an Arctic White A4 Quattro 2.0T, and I think it would look better with flat black, or maybe even piano-black trim..

jonbaker
12-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Mine is an Arctic White A4 Quattro 2.0T, and I think it would look better with flat black, or maybe even piano-black trim..

I must disagree, i realy dont like the a4's without the chrome, they just look 'cheaper' to me. Just my opinion though :p

Everytime i see an a4 with the black trim i find myself shaking my head in disaproval.

I tried the merr on the chrome and found that it did 'mask' it somewhat but it's still there. Also, the passenger side is a hell of a lot worse than the drivers, what's that all about? really is strange

Andebures
12-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi Everyone,
Update, I have written to my local dealer regarding the chrome trim on my car and it looks as though there maybe a positive outcome. I will let you know more in a weeks time.

As an alternative to replacing the trim, I had considered partially covering the trim along the length of the car with vinyl. I have a brother-in-law who works for a sign writing business who use vinyl for external signs and also livery on vans and cars. He reckoned it should last about 5 years. Of course you have to find a colour that matches, I think there are metallic looking greys that could match, but it depends on individual tastes. The vinyl he uses is self-adhesive so should be easy to apply. Has anyone tried this already?

Stewarty
13-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi All
After washing my car at the weekend i noticed that the crome strips improve thier appearance greatly when wet. This gave me the idea to test a small area of the crome with some touch up paint lacquer. It seems to have changed the dull milky colour back to a reasonable standard of crome luminescense. The problem is , i have no idea if this will further damage the crome strips in the long run for a short term fix. Any thoughts on whether this is a good/bad idea?

thecount
13-05-2008, 10:37 AM
well, I really llike the chrome trimes, I recently purcahsed a 2005 S line Avant and it has a rubber suround, but I really wanted one with a Chrome surround. Gutted. I settled for this one as the car was fully loaded with Sat Nav, 6 cd changer, Mp3 player telephone etc, etc - oh and the optics grill too.

I guess trying to get the chrome reinstated is going to a massive cost?

PAH
15-05-2008, 01:41 PM
I had the same problem on my 2006 A6, but the Audi dealer replaced it under warranty. He said normally it wasn't covered, but as I was in the process buying another brand new car from them to join the A6, they did cover it as a goodwill gesture.

So I guess you could say it cost my £30k to get the chrome trim replaced, but I got a free A4 Cabrio!!

thecount
15-05-2008, 02:08 PM
doesn't anyone do this as a 3rd part retrofit? wish mine had it now!!!!!

El Guapo
21-05-2008, 01:25 PM
I noticed the same issue on my chrome trim around the front grille. It looks like someone has left chemicals on it in the hot sun and it has stained it. Audi are going to replace it next week for me gratis! :D

Andebures
21-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi Again Everyone,
I'm pleased to report that my window trims have now been replaced after I wrote to the Audi Dealer who supplied my car. It was part funded by Audi UK and partly by the dealer as a goodwill gesture. I think part of the reason it was agreed to was because one of the previous owners was Audi themselves, but all I know for sure is it looks a whole lot better now. :D
I'm back to being a satisfied Audi owner!

elPaulio
22-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Good result!!

Just goes to show that sometimes the system does work!!

If only it would work ALL the time :biglaugh:

jonbaker
22-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi Again Everyone,
I'm pleased to report that my window trims have now been replaced after I wrote to the Audi Dealer who supplied my car. It was part funded by Audi UK and partly by the dealer as a goodwill gesture. I think part of the reason it was agreed to was because one of the previous owners was Audi themselves, but all I know for sure is it looks a whole lot better now. :D
I'm back to being a satisfied Audi owner!

I am jealous, but well done :D

Does anyone know exactly how much it would be to replace them with Audi? i might get a price... just for a laugh.. i'm guessing maybe.. all in... say £500 - £600 (that's for the trim that runs along the bottom of the windows on both sides)

thecount
22-05-2008, 06:01 PM
well, all I know is that they charge £90 per hour for labour

jonbaker
23-05-2008, 01:21 PM
well, all I know is that they charge £90 per hour for labour

I've lost count the amount of times i've said and moaned about this... £120 p.hour at Harold Wood Audi in Essex (including vat i think)!!!

The term '*******' is an understatement for them

barryburbs
23-06-2008, 11:26 AM
This effect happened to me after having a top hand wash on my 06 A4 Avant. I initially took it to the local Audi approved bodywork company who said they've seen it before and is a warranty issue. So I immediately went to the Audi dealer and a young lady on the service desk told me it wasn't warranty but down to the polish. However, the senior adviser chipped in and said it is a warranty issue and that Audi keep changing their mind about it. So I had them replaced but that then caused another problem. Whenever I opened either front window a small amount a big draft rushes up through both front electric window switched. A bit like air con for your palm! The doors have to be completely stripped down to replaced the strips.

jonbaker
23-06-2008, 12:27 PM
A bit like air con for your palm!

:biglaugh: i've always wanted that!

Doesn't surprise me that someone didn't do their job properly, common place in this country now!

You should take it back and get the divs to sort it.

barryburbs
23-06-2008, 12:41 PM
You should take it back and get the divs to sort it.

I've almost lost the will to live with them, as I mentioned, their solution was to apply sticky tape under the switches. It's a lot better now just a tiny draft. What was odd was that it happened on both sides no matter which window was opened a little bit.