PDA

View Full Version : MkIII GTi 8v - dropping below normal idling rev's

Jonboy82
05-12-2006, 09:22 PM
When pulling up to a junction or standstill the revs on my car seem to temporarily drop below the normal idling engine speed of 900rpm. This is only for a split second and they then go back up to the normal idling speed.

The concern is that on occasion they drop so low that the engine in effect stalls/cuts out.

I thought this happened mainly when the car was cold but it seems to be more frequent now

It has only just started doing this in the last few days - sods law as I’m about to put the car up for sale imminently but am too soft to sell it with a defect.

Any ideas?

The car is a 2.0 8v Golf GTi 3dr on a P (96)

solidsingh
05-12-2006, 10:24 PM
get the throttle bodies cleaned

marcoaten16v
28-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Hi, I've been having the same problem with my mk3 gti 16v, but mine does it when it's started from cold until it warms up and then still cuts out some times when the temperature has reached normal.

How would you go about getting the throttle bodies cleaned? Is it a D.I.Y jobs for a day or do you have to take it to a garge?

Thanks.

Boardboy
29-12-2006, 07:26 PM
When pulling up to a junction or standstill the revs on my car seem to temporarily drop below the normal idling engine speed of 900rpm. This is only for a split second and they then go back up to the normal idling speed.

The concern is that on occasion they drop so low that the engine in effect stalls/cuts out.

I thought this happened mainly when the car was cold but it seems to be more frequent now

It has only just started doing this in the last few days - sods law as I’m about to put the car up for sale imminently but am too soft to sell it with a defect.

Any ideas?

The car is a 2.0 8v Golf GTi 3dr on a P (96)
Try cleaning the idle speed stablizer valve. Remove it and clean it with carb cleaner. I used to give mine a squirt with plusgas before I put it back. It should be infront of the intake plenium. It has an electrical plug fitted at one end a breather hose at the other end. Another hose exiting the valve half way down the body at right angles. I haven't got one I can measure but from memory its about 5" to 6" long and about 1.5" to 2" in diameter.
Regards Boardboy