PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Disconnected MAF & still not very powerful!!

Paul A4 1.8t
03-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Hi all
Just been out to disconnect my MAF as my a4 1.8t doesnt seem to go very quick!! when ive disconnected it feels like theres no difference. What sort of power are others getting from there 1.8t?? there isnt any kick from my turbo and would like it a bit more powerful.
Thanks Paul:1zhelp:

mluton
03-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Do you feel any pull from 1800 rpm ?

It could be anything from a boost pipe that has come off to a knackered turbo.

Have you had the car scanned for error, ussually point you in the right direction to a problem ?

Paul A4 1.8t
03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
No pull. There is constent acceleration but no sudden pull!!

mluton
03-04-2008, 07:37 PM
No pull. There is constent acceleration but no sudden pull!!

Best to check all the piping, a pipe might have popped off.

A4Chris
03-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Mate, mate, mate....this means your MAF is buggered! The test is to disconnect the MAF (which will automatically set the ECU to run default 'factory safe' levels of fuel/air mix and boost) and then see if there is any change in performance. If the MAF works then by unplugging it the car will feel less powerful as car now running factory default levels. If MAF doesn't work then you will feel no difference.

Another failure point on the 1.8t is the wastegate actuator which can snap. With a cold engine, put your hand down the back of the turbo and check that the actuator to wastegate linkage is present and correct. It was snapped on mine when I purchased the car so I replaced with a Forge wastegate actuator. This (along with a new MAF) restored full performance.

You should feel a slight pull from around 2000rpm which will become stronger and stronger until pulling very hard from 4500 round to 6000. There is no 'kick in point' as such but you should hear a faint whine from the turbo when its spinning hard.

Paul A4 1.8t
11-04-2008, 02:16 PM
thanks chris. just been to audi and ive ordered both maf and wastegate. Fault diagnosed both as having problems. Will be fitting them tommorow so fingers crossed i will be running with full performance again!!

mluton
11-04-2008, 03:45 PM
thanks chris. just been to audi and ive ordered both maf and wastegate. Fault diagnosed both as having problems. Will be fitting them tommorow so fingers crossed i will be running with full performance again!!

Hope it gets sorted mate, keep us updated

Paul A4 1.8t
12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
No major difference!! not yet fitted wastegate as audi sent wrong part!! hope it makes a difference when i put it in on monday!

A4Chris
12-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Sorry to hear that new MAF didn't help. Hopefully you feel it was still worth fitting as now you know for definite it's a working one and will last you.

Wastegate should certainly make a difference as if the wastegate not functioning properly the turbo won't spin up as it should. What are audi sending, a new wastegate actuator or the actual wastegate?? Audi told me they could only sell a complete turbo (for around 600 quid) which is why I plumped for the forge wastegate actuator (for around 120 quid) and fitted myself.

Finally, after you replace any of the ECU components its worth disconnecting the battery negative terminal and leaving overnight to clear any fault codes.

Good luck with it. You will love the car when it works as it should (hopefully won't bankrupt you first?)

Chris

Paul A4 1.8t
13-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Hi Chris
Hopefully there going to send me N75 wastegate regulator. The diagnostic machine is saying that it is "open". When you fitted the wastegate,how did you remove your hose connectors??? Mine are the difficult ones from audi!,not the screw type!! Also thanks for the tip about clearing the ECU faults by disconnecting the battery, was going to get it put on a diagnostic machine to clear faults and we all know how much they cost!!!
Paul

Paul A4 1.8t
15-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi all
All work now been done. No fault on diagnostic machine. Certainly more powerful, but was hoping for a bit more!! Thinking about a chip (proper one, not one off ebay!!) does anyone know what other parts need to be upgraded along with chip!!??