PDA

View Full Version : TDI Smoking, Reduced MPG and Turbo 'Rasping'

branchespark
02-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Here is something that I have posted on another Golf thread, but I think I should have put it here:

I have a Golf TDI 130, on a 51 plate, and the problem I have is smokey when pulling away, reduced MPG and a much noisier than normal turbo. [I read to check vacuum pipes, which I will do when light.]

I don't seem to be losing oil (in fact it is over the top kink in the dip stick after a recent service - could that be an issue?) but the MPG has dropped off over the past couple of days. I mean dropped by over 10 MPG and hovering around toe 20 / 25 mpg mark for the first ten minutes when cold.

I considered poor fuel for the MPG loss, but I have since refuelled and no improvement.

What made me realise there might be something wrong this was a combination of the turbo being far noiser and sounding like it had no lubricant and the fact that when driving in the evening and accelerating I can see dark smoke in the following car's headlights.

Also, a few months ago the display on the dash said "Engine Workshop!". I took the car to the garage and, typically, it has gone by then and did not appear on any VAG-COM report nor has it appeared on the dash since.

Does this sound farmiliar to anyone?

Cheers, Sam

Lofty79
02-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Im not sure but the turbo may, and i stress MAY be gubbed, but second opinions should be on theyre way mate

dubcruiser
03-04-2008, 08:36 AM
I don't seem to be losing oil (in fact it is over the top kink in the dip stick after a recent service - could that be an issue?)

I think over filling modern diesels is as bad if not worse than under filling them when it comes to oil. It should never be over the dipstick Max line...

veedub76
04-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Sounds like an oil overfill problem and do you use supermarket diesel,this has less additives than the bigger fuel companies.Also try using Millers diesel treatment which can be found in Halfords for £11.99 this should work wonders by cleaning injectors/nozzles and lubing the diesel pump and in turn increasing M.P.G.
I'm sure there'll be something i've missed and i'll be corrected on this!
Give the Millers ago and try Sheel Optimax diesel it really does work and is worth the extra few pence.:D

branchespark
04-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Took the car to a garage near work (Cambridge) and they replaced a one of the top hoses from the intercooler (rubber seal perished). They claimed it was sorted, so I went on my way.

Not so. Still plumes of smoke.

Have removed the intercooler, cleaned it and then refitted. On testing, it is clear that there is a leak / crack in the intercooler itself. Will replace this and see if that fixes the issue.

Nightmare!

veedub76
05-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Well least you've found the problem!Try German Swedish and French for the intercooler they sell VW/Audi/Peugeot parts cheap,have a look on the website or call them.:D

precision AV
01-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Took the car to a garage near work (Cambridge) and they replaced a one of the top hoses from the intercooler (rubber seal perished). They claimed it was sorted, so I went on my way.

Not so. Still plumes of smoke.

Have removed the intercooler, cleaned it and then refitted. On testing, it is clear that there is a leak / crack in the intercooler itself. Will replace this and see if that fixes the issue.

Nightmare!

Hey there.

New to the site but i seem to be having the same issues.. NO mechanic so therefore appreciate all your help guys!! The intercooler - where is this positioned (daft quest - BUT as stated NOmechanic). I have a 150 BHP GT TDI and is smokes when starting and when hard accelerating.

Thanks in advance.

seancorcoran67
10-05-2008, 08:21 PM
sounds like ur turbo on its last legs it does happen but check all the flexi pipes first as for the oil if its only up to the secound kink i wouldn worry bout it to much but no harm to leave out quarter litre or tat

seancorcoran67
10-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Hey there.

New to the site but i seem to be having the same issues.. NO mechanic so therefore appreciate all your help guys!! The intercooler - where is this positioned (daft quest - BUT as stated NOmechanic). I have a 150 BHP GT TDI and is smokes when starting and when hard accelerating.

Thanks in advance.
its behind the bumper on the drivers side front corner

Monkey117SE
11-05-2008, 08:29 AM
its behind the bumper on the drivers side front corner

The Intercooler on the 150 gt tdi is front mounted, this is one of the differences between the 130 and 150, i think its larger too.