PDA

View Full Version : 03 A4 Tdi service meter????

vinny1965
05-12-2006, 12:50 AM
I have just had my A4 serviced by a non vag garage and they have not reset the meter. The cars meter would of originally been set up for a long life service but the service carried out was an ordinary one. The handbook says that it can be reset manually but it didnt work local audi garage say I have to bring it to them.Is this correct???:1zhelp: I live 50 miles from local audi dealer and dont want to have to go to them everytime I need this done

Dave Avant
06-12-2006, 01:28 PM
I bought my car in October and the dealer (non Audi) gave it an oil change, but didn't reset the service indicator. I am also planning to service it myself, so would also like to know how to reset it. Its an ISO socket. On BMWs and MG Rover, (which I've owned) you could basically earth a certain pin for a certain time depending on the type of service. I do have a reset tool for the BMW.

Just ordered a workshop CD off Ebay that has all models, may have a procedure on that - I'll let you know if it has.

Dave Avant
06-12-2006, 02:25 PM
found some info:

-Turn car off
-Hold "Wrench" Button on Console
-Turn on car (don't need to start)
-Press Trip Odometer Reset (0,0) while still holding Wrench

This resets it to a fixed mileage service (every 10,000miles I think) and not the variable longlife service, to be honest I service my cars every 6,000 miles regardless, so I may do this std reset - apparently in the handbook -going to check it tonight. There is a Draper reset tool that also does airbag resets for £49 on Ebay.

RickT
23-12-2006, 01:33 AM
found some info:

-Turn car off
-Hold "Wrench" Button on Console
-Turn on car (don't need to start)
-Press Trip Odometer Reset (0,0) while still holding Wrench

This resets it to a fixed mileage service (every 10,000miles I think) and not the variable longlife service, to be honest I service my cars every 6,000 miles regardless, so I may do this std reset - apparently in the handbook -going to check it tonight. There is a Draper reset tool that also does airbag resets for £49 on Ebay.

The vaiable service reset is carried out as above... after approx 500 miles it will reset it to your current drving sytle for your next service... if your using a longlife service this has to be configured via vag0com.

Cheers

RickT

Dave Avant
23-12-2006, 11:34 AM
The vaiable service reset is carried out as above... after approx 500 miles it will reset it to your current drving sytle for your next service... if your using a longlife service this has to be configured via vag0com.

Cheers

RickT

Just to clarify, if its reset via the dash buttons, this initially gives you 10,000 miles to next service, but it will recalculate the mileage to next service automatically depending upon use/driving style? :beerchug:

This is as other service indicators I've seen, but as you say the longlife service needs to be done via the vagcom.

RickT
23-12-2006, 02:54 PM
yeap thats right..

Cheers

RickT

vinny1965
23-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the help.

I have it sorted out now. I had done it as it said in manual but didnt realise it took about 500 miles to give a reading.

I noticed Dave that you mentioned a meter that also does air bag resets.

My girlfriend has a 99 a4 with the air bag light on permanently. Have you any more info on the tool ??

cheers

Vinny

RickT
23-12-2006, 11:13 PM
i keep saying this on here.. LOL!!

VAG-COM .. you can use it to reset the airbag faults or find out what the issue is...

looks like a sensors failed if you have not hit anything!!

I dont normally say this but your "Audi" dealer may be a good option,, or a local specalist...

The problem is if you have "God forbid" a smash with the warning light on, i am led to belelive that the AIRBAGS are all disabled due to a fault so they wont be deployed... so your playing with life / lives there...

Get it booked in some where or if you can do it yourself and are 100% go for it,,

Cheers

RickT

RickT
23-12-2006, 11:22 PM
You can downlaod a copy of shareware VAG-COM from the below link..

its shareware... not full version however it will do everything you need... it still reports all errors... just some error "TEXT states shareware, however i have a full list of all codes and reason.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/

I am still runing version Release 409.1 via a Serial cable as i have one of my old laptops up as a "CAR" pc..

Spend a bit of time reading ross tech and install instuctions.. (some of the leads also copy with the shareware software)

If its for the B6, you will need a ODB2 ( OBDII ) lead.. in a form of USB or Serial connection to your PC or laptop..

these leads are on ebay all the time for a max of £30.. however at the moment theres none on there, think its due to xmas... normally theres loads.. so just keep your eyes open!!

Cheers

RickT