PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration Gone

vic4
02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I drive a 53 reg A3 2.0TDI Sport with 115000 on the clock.
I was overtaking someone on the motorway last week at approx 98mph and then i suddenly lost all acceleration and the speed dropped quite rapidly.
Fortunately i managed to pull into the hard shoulder and stopped for a few mins.
After a short while I tried to pull off again. The car did move but it was really struggling. There was no pull and it took me FOREVER just to get it up to 30mph. Eventually I managed to get it to 60mph and pulled back onto the motorway. When i left the motorway and got stuck at some traffic lights it was really struggling to pull off again and it it did 0 -30 mph in about 6 secs (ARGH) so i limped all the way home.
About 15/30 mins after I got home I went back out in my car to test it and it was fine!
I dont get whats happened, I took it to one mechanic I know who said he thinks the turbo might need reconditioning because something on it has got stuck with deposits. So he took it on the motorway and it didnt do anything. Then a different mechanic I know said he thinks its something to do with my air flow!
Iv driven it today and it was fine.
Any advice would be muchos apreciated! :1zhelp:

rich h
02-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Sounds to me like your MAF Mass air flow sensor is knackered. Their fairly cheap and easy to change.

vic4
02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
would i definately need to replace it or do you think i could get away without changing it now that its drivin ok again

dandam
02-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Sounds like the airflow mass meter, common enough but get a genuine part, it's false economy to buy a pattern part. Try putting some cleaner in the tank too, I did recently in my A6 and it's flying at the moment.

rich h
02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
would i definately need to replace it or do you think i could get away without changing it now that its drivin ok again

For the sake off £40 - £50 I'd change it..

dandam
02-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Definitely change it, it will go again at some point

vic4
02-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Definitely change it, it will go again at some point

thanks SO much for your help everyone. one last question and then ill stop bugging you ... should i go to audi to get it replaced or an independent?
thanks again

dbbear
02-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I seem to have similar problems but it is only in 1st gear that it seems to happen and its as if the turbo is not kicking in. Would this be the mass air flow thing for me as well?

vic4
09-04-2008, 05:50 PM
thanks SO much for your help everyone. one last question and then ill stop bugging you ... should i go to audi to get it replaced or an independent?
thanks again

it happened again. on the EXACT same bit of motorway

bora(ing) nick
09-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Your car is going into limp mode..... if you turn the ignition off, and restart it, it will reset.

Cars go into limp mode for a varity of reasons, and it does sound like the common MAF problem. You can fit it yourself in under 10 mins.... there is a how-to here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6571).... Just make sure you buy the genuine part from Audi.... I think the VW ones are £58.75 + VAT IIRC

HTH

Nick

vic4
10-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Your car is going into limp mode..... if you turn the ignition off, and restart it, it will reset.

Cars go into limp mode for a varity of reasons, and it does sound like the common MAF problem. You can fit it yourself in under 10 mins.... there is a how-to here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6571).... Just make sure you buy the genuine part from Audi.... I think the VW ones are £58.75 + VAT IIRC

HTH

Nick

yeah your right if i turn the ignition off and restart its ok again. its weird its always on the same patch of motorway, its a bit of an incline though and i usually boot it up there, if i go slower it doesnt... thanks for your help :)

csducks
06-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I have almost the same problem, i was driving under my cruise control at just over 80mph then after ahwile put my foot down and nothing.. in different gears i tried.. but not wouldnt go over 75-80 at firsdt i thought the turbo had blown but..

and after googling it..
i have found many many different reasons for what could cause this.
Now thats all doody and good, but i dont know much about cars, and very little about audis, i cant afford to follow every little bit of advice on what this person, or that person says..

so far, it could be deposits from the tank, if it had got low, all the **** in the bottom got into fule pipes or some ****.. i dont know, then there was deposits in the turbo which well i dotn know... i really wish i was a mechanic so i could well id know what to do to fix it, and tbh i dont want to really takwe it to garage unless i have to as well i could get easily ripped of buying this and that, so advice needed please, did the advice above my post in this thread work for yourselves, or is it a problem which has been identified now.. i certainly need help with this.

vic4
07-05-2008, 11:08 AM
It only ever did it again once. and then never happened again, i took it to audi to get checked as I've been having a few other probs with the car too and they said there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car .. ?!?! ...that its perfect..!?!?! As long as it doesnt do it again which it hasnt so far then im happy.. except now i have a worse problem and audi say the car is fine and i know its deinfately not! argh

Paul Chocks
14-10-2011, 05:12 PM
My 2005 2.0TDI just lost power (appeared to be no turbo). Disconnected MAF and all OK. Is it OK to drive with MAF disconnected until new sensor bought and fitted? Thanks

Bradderz85
25-05-2015, 05:05 PM
I seem to have similar problems but it is only in 1st gear that it seems to happen and its as if the turbo is not kicking in. Would this be the mass air flow thing for me as well?

Did u get to the bottom of the first gear thing matey ???