PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Manual for 2004 Skoda Octavia Classic 1.9tdi

Beato19
01-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi Folks, Can anyone advise me on where to get a workshop manual for the above car? Skoda want hundreds of pounds for one and Haynes Manuals have not produced one yet and they say that they have no plans to do one.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Regards. neil.

greg123
23-04-2008, 12:15 PM
If it's a mk1 Octavia it's this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Octavia-Petrol-Diesel-Service-Repair/dp/184425285X

It's only recently out from Haynes. If it's the mk2 Octavia then sorry... but the engine would be the same as are much of other stuff so it's still a useful manual.

I don't generally use manuals, the settings and specifications from car data software is normally enough to go on. You can ask in here for anything specific you are worried about.

Greg.

Hi Folks, Can anyone advise me on where to get a workshop manual for the above car? Skoda want hundreds of pounds for one and Haynes Manuals have not produced one yet and they say that they have no plans to do one.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Regards. neil.

Beato19
24-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi Greg,
thank you for your e mail. I have been in touch with Haynes and the manual you mention is not the one for my car and they don't have any plans to produce one in the next 12 to 18 months.

You say that you don't use manuals as you prefer to use the car data software. I'm just wondering if there is any way that I can get this kind of information for my car? Regards. Neil Beaton.

greg123
24-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I did say this manual is for the mk1 and you haven't stated but I think you must be indicating yours is a mk2? (they had both on sale at the same time at that point).

What do you need to know? If you have a question ask, what are you stuck on with the car that you need the manual for? The car data software is pretty expensive, have a look on ebay and see what you can pick up. It's used by the trade. Sometimes you can get ebay copies of the factory manual on cd for newer models like yours but I'm not recommending anyone/thing specific because some and good, some are bad and some are pirates....

If it's engine information for servicing etc you would be best placed to buy the manual I recommended as the engine is the same more or less unless you have a 2.0 diesel which I don't think you will. Or ask on here your questions or via pm and I can look up see if I have the information you need.

Greg.

Hi Greg,
thank you for your e mail. I have been in touch with Haynes and the manual you mention is not the one for my car and they don't have any plans to produce one in the next 12 to 18 months.

You say that you don't use manuals as you prefer to use the car data software. I'm just wondering if there is any way that I can get this kind of information for my car? Regards. Neil Beaton.

Beato19
24-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Greg, thank you for the information. I'm assuming that the car is a MK2 also.

The main reason that I wanted a manual for the car was to try and save a few bob on servicing charges. I don't want to get involved in anything too complicated with the car, but thanks to you I did manage to fit the engine coolant sensor. At this momemt in time I do not need any information desperately as the car is running ok, but it is due for a service in the near future.

At the last garage I took my car to for its 36,000 mile service they changed the engine oil, oil filter, air and fuel filter, stripped down the front brakes and fitted new pads, with all the parts supplied by me; I also supplied synthetic oil for the engine labour charge £80.00p. At 40,000 miles I took the car back to them and had the timing belt changed.

Is there really anything more needs to be done on a service apart from the rear brakes and a general check over of the car:beerchug:?

I will have a look on the internet and see what comes up. Cheers mate. Neil.

greg123
25-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Cabin filter, lube all the hinges with grease, lube all the locks with Teflon dry lube, add oil seal conditioner additive to the engine oil once a year, flush and change the antifreeze if never been done, with 50/50 G12 pink coolant + bars conditioner/leak stopper and a new thermostat if you are in any doubt about the latter's operation, if the vehicle is up to 100k clean the inlet manifold and ports, if interested do an EGR delete to stop them plugging up in future, solvent clean the MAF, scan fault code, record, clear and road test and re-scan if any faults evident, I also run can of Powerboost though the intake after the maf prior to doing codes to clean the intercooler/pipes internally as they get oiled up. Check batter water level and top up as required with de-ionised water 1/2 inch above the plates or to marker.

Oh yes, check and top up your gearbox fluid, draining and filling with redline + anti wear additive of your choice if you feel kind/car over 100k.

But that's just me, I like my cars to be well serviced and after all I do it for a job! I also go and grease all the electrical connections under the bonnet and in all the lights, bit of spray grease in them and it stops them corroding which later leads to major wiring problems/codes etc.

I could go on really couldn't I?

Greg.

Beato19
25-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi Greg, once again thank you for a great e mail.

My car has just about done 50,000 miles and as I said it will be due a service in the near future. There was nothing done to the car at the last garage I took it to for a service as your have listed. I wonder if Skoda do as comprehensive a service as you list. My God I wish I were near you, my car would certainly get a good service from you.

I'm afraid I don't even understand most of what you do on a service it's probably beyond me and I suppose I'll just have to find some good garage or use the local Skoda dealer me thinks up here:beerchug:. If anyone can recommend a good mechanic/garage etc In the Newcastle Upon Tyne area of the country I'd be grateful.

Once again Greg thanks for your sound advice mate. Cheers. Neil.